SlideRig

xDottorexDottore Frets: 274
I have been happy as a pig in shite playing with my new SlideRig what I got for Christmas. Utterly lovely tones. Beautifully built and has a rather touching, nostalgic look of 30s railway signs about it. 

You need an idea of what you are going to do, but it should be a vague idea.

My feedback page: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/91654/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Top notch! Love the SlideRig, my fave compressor. Have you got the big box or the Compact Deluxe?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • I have one (big box) on the way to me. can't wait as the Cali 76 CD is stunning. 
  • xDottorexDottore Frets: 274
    Top notch! Love the SlideRig, my fave compressor. Have you got the big box or the Compact Deluxe?
    On the basis that the big one was the last of its kind (per the guy in No Tom in Denmark Street), I went for the big one. Could have got the compact one but figured, like Jack Burton, "Oh well, why not?"

• Nice!! Enjoy it! 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Can you use it to add mids?  I used to use a Retro Comp to make middle position on a Les Paul sound almost like a Rickenbacker when played clean into an EL84 amp, but from what I've heard the Cali's are designed to be more neutral than other compressors.
  • xDottorexDottore Frets: 274
    No way to add mids per se (at least not that I've found so far), but there's a certain amount of tweakage that one can do (I haven't) with Attack and Release settings internally that might address it. But that's when it all gets a bit technical for me and my eyes start to glaze in reading the manual ;-)  

In the FAQ it says under 'What to Avoid':
    • A FET compressor is a powerful form of compression, due to the fact that it can respond so quickly. However, this isn’t always a good thing and when used with guitar it’s very easy to select settings that result in audible distortion artifacts.
    • When compressing you’re essentially attacking the waveform, and so you must be careful not to gouge out large chunks! Dialing in high levels of Ratio, along with very fast Attack and Release settings WILL result in distortion. These distortion artifacts will get more audible on lower strings, and when playing complex “jazzy” chords. For this reasons it’s often best to offset particularly strong settings on one of the Attack, Release, or Ratio controls, by dialing in less extreme settings on the other two knobs.
    Don't know if that helps! I'm a novice when it comes to FX. I just play and if it sounds good, I'm satisfied ;-)

• mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Dottore said:
    No way to add mids per se (at least not that I've found so far), but there's a certain amount of tweakage that one can do (I haven't) with Attack and Release settings internally that might address it. But that's when it all gets a bit technical for me and my eyes start to glaze in reading the manual ;-)  

In the FAQ it says under 'What to Avoid':
    • A FET compressor is a powerful form of compression, due to the fact that it can respond so quickly. However, this isn’t always a good thing and when used with guitar it’s very easy to select settings that result in audible distortion artifacts.
    • When compressing you’re essentially attacking the waveform, and so you must be careful not to gouge out large chunks! Dialing in high levels of Ratio, along with very fast Attack and Release settings WILL result in distortion. These distortion artifacts will get more audible on lower strings, and when playing complex “jazzy” chords. For this reasons it’s often best to offset particularly strong settings on one of the Attack, Release, or Ratio controls, by dialing in less extreme settings on the other two knobs.
    Don't know if that helps! I'm a novice when it comes to FX. I just play and if it sounds good, I'm satisfied ;-)
    Interesting that the circuit is so potent that it produces distortion which I've never found to happen with Ross clones...Dynacomps maybe a bit I guess.  My cheap Chinese compressor distorts whenever the ratio is much past noon, but it cost about £13 so no surprises there.

By adding mids I mean more that this is what most cmopressors seem to do by default.  You lose the very top end as soon as you switch then on and then more and more mids come in as the ratio is increased.  If the Cali circuit doesn't do this then it will sound very different from the comps I've used.