IT types - bit of help? (network switches)

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
So, my broadband cable router has 4 ethernet sockets, and all are currently busy (power line adapter, tv, sky box, console) and I'd like to keep those devices cabled.

I also want to have a bit of a dabble in smart home stuff - Sonos, Hue, Nest and whatnot. Most of these things seem to require, or work best when, their own 'hub' is plugged in to the wifi. 

So I want to add a bunch of ports.

Looking on Amazon there are options for under £20 that will give 5-8 sockets - but I might be being dumb but none of the sockets look to be a designated upstream connection to the router - does it 'just work' however you connect it or do I need a particular type of switch?

thanks in advance 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited December 2016
    Yes it should just work- at least if you are buying something reasonably new.
    This is how you connect a switch to a router:

• SporkySporky Frets: 28289
    Ah; the joys of configuring Cisco ports.

*shudders*
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Myranda said:
    dont buy a cisco switch unless you really know what you are doing with it. It isnt a plug and play device
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    +1 on giving Cisco a miss.
    Get a £20 Netgear or D-Link switch- they are pretty much plug and play.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Sporky said:
    Ah; the joys of configuring Cisco ports.

*shudders*
    Myranda said:
    dont buy a cisco switch unless you really know what you are doing with it. It isnt a plug and play device
    I would say "they're not that bad" but with 8 degree students on the Networking Theory and Technologies module unable to finish the "configure a router with 3 ports (2 serial an 1 ethernet)" test ... maybe only if you have the ability to type a few lines of text.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited December 2016
    I have my old Sky router and my current Sky router connected. I can't remember which port I used, but in the old days, a port used to connect to another router rather than a device needed to be on a particular port (ie, the first one or the last one). I think I have mine plugged into the last port, but it just works basically. Joining the two up gives me six ports rather than four (four+four-two (for the connection between them)) for one of them..
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    octatonic said:
    +1 on giving Cisco a miss.
    Get a £20 Netgear or D-Link switch- they are pretty much plug and play.
    cheers
    Red ones are better. 
    Myranda said:
    I would say "they're not that bad" but with 8 degree students on the Networking Theory and Technologies module unable to finish the "configure a router with 3 ports (2 serial an 1 ethernet)" test ... maybe only if you have the ability to type a few lines of text.
    I'm fine with a good eight or ten coding and/or scripting languages. But even after doing ICND I find Cisco stuff ridiculously illogical, inconsistent and painful to configure. It baffles me that anyone still buys the stuff.
    Sporky said:
    Myranda said:
    I'm fine with a good eight or ten coding and/or scripting languages. But even after doing ICND I find Cisco stuff ridiculously illogical, inconsistent and painful to configure. It baffles me that anyone still buys the stuff.
    Doesn't/didn't @clarky write low level protocols for Cisco gear? 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    Sporky said:
    Myranda said:
    I mean...

en [enter] <[password]> [enter], gi int [enter], ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (ip address then mask)[enter], exit [enter] 

is hardly unpossible to type...
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited December 2016
    TimmyO said:
    Sporky said:
    Myranda said:
    ahh.. sorry guys.. I didn't write protocols for Cisco
    I have done some goofing with routers and switches years ago though..
    my knowledge is CCNA switching and routing and CCNA Voice level..
    and very rusty

and Sporks is right… Cisco config is not a huge pile of fun
    the general rule of thumb [once the fundamentals are built] is to think of the OSI stack and build from the bottom up..

play every note as if it were your first
    Clarky said:
    TimmyO said:
    Sporky said:
    Myranda said:
     the OSI stack 

Princess
    Diana
    Never
    Tried
    Shagging
    Prince
    Andrew

is how I remembered Physical, Data, Network, Transport, Session, Presentation, Application :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Clarky said:

and Sporks is right…
    Had to happen sometime.

Myranda said:

en [enter] <[password]> [enter], gi int [enter], ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (ip address then mask)[enter], exit [enter]
    GUIs exist.

Also the different syntax for different devices is daft.

Sporky said:
    Clarky said:

and Sporks is right…
    Had to happen sometime.

Myranda said:

GUIs exist.

Yes, router and switch having slightly different syntax for the smae thing is silly
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11902
    Wouldn't you put the server on the same switch as the PC(s) if  it's mostly (or entirely) used for local backups and local storage (like mine is) 
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Myranda said:
    Sporky said:
    Clarky said:

and Sporks is right…
    Had to happen sometime.

Myranda said:

GUIs exist.

Yes, router and switch having slightly different syntax for the smae thing is silly
    usually the result of completely different teams developing stuff [different devices or different software blocks within the same device] without having standards / conventions defined [imposed on them]..
    you see that sort of stuff all the time..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24324
    Buy any old crap and plug it together. It'll work.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter