Show us your Multi tools- any advice?

What's Hot
Having a bit of cash for Christmas, I fancy a multi tool. Any brands or recommended buys out there?
An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28301
    In the Leatherman sense or the Fein sense?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • A claw hammer or an angle-grinder is generally all you will ever need.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

Beware of carrying ones with locking knife blades. There's a chance of getting done if you don't have a specific reason to have it on you (like for work - while at work, or for things like ceremonial dress/national costume). In other words, potentially illegal to have it on you because it's handy and you'll probably need it. Same applies to non-locking blades with a cutting edge longer than 3", and to anything with a fixed blade (eg, illegal to carry a fixed blade bushcraft knife unless you're actually out in the woods or travelling to/from). To be clear, the 3" size limit for every-day carry only applies to non-locking folding blades - all others come under the knife legislation and need to be justified if you get pulled.

A multi-tool with a locking blade should be okay as part of a toolkit (like in gigging kit), but not for EDC. The chances of getting pulled are pretty slim, but the consequences if you are are likely to be at least confiscation of the tool, and potentially charges depending on the circumstances and the cop's point of view/intentions.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• gubblegubble Frets: 1746

having read this I've just measured the blade on the swiss army knife I have on my keys. I use this daily for one reason or another and it's a really useful bit of kit, not to mention a practical keyring.

Thankfully the knife is only 3"

• The chances of me having anything longer than 3" in my pocket are pretty slim these days
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    Was thinking leatherman type of thing as part of essential gig kit but also for track days, diy etc. 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited December 2016
    I have a Leatherman Surge that I keep in my bike panniers for on the road repairs.
    It has an optional bit set than gives me important sizes.
    That and a small repair kit, important sockets, some wire, cable ties, gaff and a puncture repair kit is pretty much all I need for touring.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    I got one for Christmas. 

Leatherman Super Tool 300. It's great, and I've used it every day since having it. But the blade does fall foul of the law. 

I do do a bit of outdoors stuff at the weekends so I guess it is justified for that. But not an EDC. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• My leather man blast has lasted 10 years so far, locking blade but kept in gig bag only drawback no real bottle opener.not fond of multi tools with attachable bits because the handy attachable bits always get lost ( who's still got the toothpick and tweeezers from their SWARMY knife?). Only bit of wisdom to pass on is decide if you are actually going to use it, in which case don't buy compact/key ring size
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Only bit of wisdom to pass on is decide if you are actually going to use it, in which case don't buy compact/key ring size
    I use my pair of Leatherman Squirts more than any of the others.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    edited December 2016

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    I've got a Leatherman Juice XE 6 which is useful and unproblematic from a legal point of view. 
    Funnily enough though it's been the small Leatherman Squirt PS 4 which lives on a keyring gets the most use -- just cos it's always there.
    I've got the PS4, a Fenix E01 mini torch, and silver gripper tweezers, all on a loop of that amazing locking wire which I discovered a while back and is the solution to problems you didn't even know you had. 
    Also added a green tritium glow in the dark marker which has been super useful for just going "there it is" when it's pitch black in some pub car park somewhere..

• I have a Fein and have found so many uses for it whilst renovating the house, expensive but worth it. 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    edited December 2016
    I carry this everywhere and it cost £2

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2768
    Didn't know about the knife law / rules etc

it would explain why I got frisked and asked to "come this way please sir" by a massive security guard when we tried to go up the Rockefellar centre in New York this summer.

he was very good however. Clearly worked out I was a simple tourist

• I have a leatherman juice c2 on my keychain at all times. 
    Short non locking blade means it's legal to carry etc. 
    Corkscrew, bottle opener, Philips and normal screwdrivers and a decent set of pliers. 
    I use it all the time & would highly recommend it. 

https://www.knivesplus.com/media/LE-831920.jpg
    I got mine from Heinne. 
    Their list is here (if you hit refine you can limit the results to UK legal carry if you like). 

https://www.heinnie.com/knives-and-tools/multi-tools
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    I carry this everywhere and it cost £2

I've got one of those too but have no idea where it is! 

Thanks for reminding me I have one :)

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    I've a Leatherman Skeletool that I keep in the car, and a Topeak cycling specific tool that I keep in my saddlebag (it has tyre levers, a chain splitter, the common sizes of Allen key etc, but no blade). That, a couple of spare tubes, and a couple of SRAM powerlink spare links and I can fix most likely roadside mechanicals.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • Great thread!  I had a Leatherman Kick in a pouch , until some cunt stole it, and have been looking to replace it.  It came with a Micra in the pack which although small, lives in my jeans pocket and gets used all the time.

After reading replies in this thread, think I'll get a carry-friendly Gerber Dime.
    Leatherman did a knife-less Fuse for a while; it has a really useful set of tools.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom