JTM45 reissue, a few questions.

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• photekphotek Frets: 1463
    MtB said:
    @photek - do you mean the 36w Ampmaker head? That uses 4 EL84s 
    No it was a 45 with 2x KT66 but I can't remember who made it, was a very tidy handwired build by a guy that ran a company making kits. It will come to me no doubt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    @ICBM  Sorry to bother you again but could you please run your eyes over these gut shots and comment on wether it's a well modded amp or a keep well clear disaster area? The master volume has been routed through the back like you suggested was better and there has been some modding to the inputs where they have been connected somehow. Many thanks.

https://i.imgur.com/NK9Wywk.png

https://i.imgur.com/oaIJTX9.png

https://i.imgur.com/OypxyNy.png

https://i.imgur.com/aqnnPWx.png

https://i.imgur.com/cUuIIhr.png
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72354
    That looks OK. The inputs appear to have been modded to internally link the two channels - why, I don't know… there's no point when it can be done with one short patch lead externally, but some people seem to like to do stuff like that.

The MV mod isn't great, by the look of it - it will work, but it appears to be a post-tone-stack MV like on a 2203, which isn't as good as a post-phase-inverter type on one of these… without the cascaded channels like the 2203, you don't get a lot of overdrive, and it doesn't sound as much like the power-stage overdrive as the PPIMV does.

So I'd probably like to improve it :). At least it doesn't look bodged so it should be possible to fairly easily.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Cool, thank you for your input it's much appreciated.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    I still regret selling my JTM45 to a certain @lamf68 of this parish - possibly the best classic rock sound I ever had - I remember playing one festival where I had the luxury of playing it wide open for a whole set - the sound was something else and was a true revelation/insight as to how the greats such as Kossoff etc etc got that sound - not that I was anywhere close but the whole interaction between the guitar (LP) and the amp at that volume which wasn't that unmanageable but still brutally loud - I think what makes the JTM a little more manageable is the softer attack of the valve rectifier rather than the hard nosed JMP.

Would love another one...Briliiant amps - could be the the only amp to topple my love for my Shiva!
    @welshboyo Thank you for that, it's always good hearing other people's opinions of the amp. I've yet to hear a bad thing yet! Hearing all these good things about it is what is keeping me patient and helping me wait for the right one.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    zepp76 said:
    @welshboyo Thank you for that, it's always good hearing other people's opinions of the amp. I've yet to hear a bad thing yet! Hearing all these good things about it is what is keeping me patient and helping me wait for the right one.
    Trouble is now @zepp76 is that I have convinced myself that I need another one too, and there could be a race to the line!!!!
    welshboyo said:
    zepp76 said:
    Trouble is now @zepp76 is that I have convinced myself that I need another one too, and there could be a race to the line!!!!
    @welshboyo  Ha! If you have a car and can travel you have the high ground as I only have motorcycles so need the sellers to courier and that is a hard sell let me tell you, I've missed out on a few now thanks to that.
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    I've also convinced myself that I need one too  :)

breadfan said:
    I've also convinced myself that I need one too  :)
    Oh man! it's open season on JTM45's! This could get ugly.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    I will be selling my Ceriatone handwired JTM45 soon gents if anyone isn't fussed about getting a Marshall one.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited March 2017
    You've got me wanting a JTM45 now haha, all the demos sound awesome and sounds like with a boost it'd do heavier rock styles fine with the channel volumes up (and no doubt attenuated)!

To me the cleans sound better than any fender I've heard, they just sound bland to me whereas these have punch and a little bit of grit. Do these amps have the same feel that the slightly later JMP/800s have? The JMP I get to play fairly regularly has such a nice feel, it's very "soft" and easy to play. Not much low end though, but ungodly loud.
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    welshboyo said:
    I still regret selling my JTM45 to a certain @lamf68 of this parish - possibly the best classic rock sound I ever had - I remember playing one festival where I had the luxury of playing it wide open for a whole set - the sound was something else and was a true revelation/insight as to how the greats such as Kossoff etc etc got that sound - not that I was anywhere close but the whole interaction between the guitar (LP) and the amp at that volume which wasn't that unmanageable but still brutally loud - I think what makes the JTM a little more manageable is the softer attack of the valve rectifier rather than the hard nosed JMP.

Would love another one...Briliiant amps - could be the the only amp to topple my love for my Shiva!
    And i regret more than anything selling it on, was the best sounding amp I've ever owned, i used a Marshall Power Brake with it and it was immense at low volume, like pub volume...This is probably the only amp I'd buy again. 
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    ICBM said:
    zepp76 said:

I have a DSL40C which is a good amp but its no JTM!!

Have you thought about replacing the speaker? It's a Seventy/80, which is a bit… meh. A Creamback 65 or 75 would be a much better choice if you're after a JTM-type sound.
    This. I put a creamback 65 in mine and it's improved the tone no end.