Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dogs in Public. (Canine type)

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30945
I have to say, I am utterly fed up with the British attitude to dogs in public places.

America and France love their dogs- you'll struggle to find a cafe or pub where there's no facility for them.

Yet you try and find a pub outside of ruralshire that will allow a well behaved dog into it. You'll have little issue taking a dog on an internal flight in the US too.

On the other hand, pubs abound with sceaming ill-behaved kids (amongst the well behaved) which is considered acceptable.

Why are the Brits so intolerant to man's best friend?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    There was a series of events near me where people would steal dogs tied up outside shops and drop them off 50 miles away for a laugh. 

With 2 Lurchers we always had Gypsies trying to buy or steal ours too. I prefer to not take them anywhere now, other than walks obviously.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's since we joined the EU, will all change after we leave, less tolerant of foreigners but more tolerant of dogs.  =)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's not great but it's getting better, there's a few Cafe's near me that allow dogs (North West) Cafe Nero being the biggest chain and some local pubs are open to dogs coming in. I think it depends on the motivation of the owner/landlord, for instance in the Lake District they realised they were losing ramblers' cash by not allowing in dogs.
  • Interesting to hear... we've found more and more places, including most restaurants becoming dog friendly. Many you'd expect not to be, and them saying 'bring him in!' We're in Exeter, but most of these places are chains that have the same rules everywhere!
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Great point about the Lake District. Keswick and Windermere don't allow you across the welcome sign without some sort of dog attached to you.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33836
    We don't have much of a problem with Ms O'Hairy in either London or in Oxfordshire, or even further afield in Devon/Cornwall.
    Could this be a Midlands thing?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30945
    octatonic said:
    We don't have much of a problem with Ms O'Hairy in either London or in Oxfordshire, or even further afield in Devon/Cornwall.
    Could this be a Midlands thing?
    James, I think it's more an urban thing.

• I'm not into big dogs off their leash bounding toward me - not everybody likes them. And my girlfriend is allergic to them. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33836
    Not in London- at least not in Acton, S Bush, Kew, Ealing, Highgate areas we used to take Scarlett when we lived there.
    We still take her into central Oxford quite a bit too.
  • I'm not into big dogs off their leash bounding toward me - not everybody likes them. And my girlfriend is allergic to them. 
    To be fair Thomas I don't think they would be off the lease in a cafe while you were enjoying a Cafe Latte.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's ok then :D
    octatonic said:
    Not in London- at least not in Acton, S Bush, Kew, Ealing, Highgate areas we used to take Scarlett when we lived there.
    We still take her into central Oxford quite a bit too.
    Agreed. I live in Birmingham. It's hardly civilised.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1757
    Deijavoo said:
    Great point about the Lake District. Keswick and Windermere don't allow you across the welcome sign without some sort of dog attached to you.

I'm fairly sure it's mandatory to be accompanied by a dog if you visit the Britannia Inn at Elterwater
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I'm a fan of dogs but I HATE people who can't control theirs. Fekkin idiots. If you want a dog and want it off the leash then TRAIN IT it to not harass people.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

• I love dogs but I'm allergic to most I've met. I don't think the odd one in a pub would be a problem, but If I went to eat somewhere and there were quite a few, id probably need some inhaler and an antihistamine.  Still, if loads of places allowed them, they would be suitably spread around and if there were dog freindly establishments that were popular with owners I could easliy avoid.  I agree that kids can be annoying, but they are unlikely to trigger an asthma attack in anybody, so the comparison doesn't work on all levels. 

I love dogs but I'm allergic to most I've met. I don't think the odd one in a pub would be a problem, but If I went to eat somewhere and there were quite a few, id probably need some inhaler and an antihistamine.  Still, if loads of places allowed them, they would be suitably spread around and if there were dog freindly establishments that were popular with owners I could easliy avoid.  I agree that kids can be annoying, but they are unlikely to trigger an asthma attack in anybody, so the comparison doesn't work on all levels. 
    I have a labradoodle. She is hypoallergenic. So nur.

axisus said:
    I'm a fan of dogs but I HATE people who can't control theirs. Fekkin idiots. If you want a dog and want it off the leash then TRAIN IT it to not harass people.
    This I wholeheartedly agree with; but then I can train a dog. Loads of experience (mostly with Alistair).

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    James, with all due respect, I don't think Winnie is the problem here....if you were less of a stranger to a bar of soap, changed your clothes when you'd spilt soup down them and didn't insist on leading the poor girl around on a piece of string, you might find these places more open to you....
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    miserneil said:
    James, with all due respect, I don't think Winnie is the problem here....if you were less of a stranger to a bar of soap, changed your clothes when you'd spilt soup down them and didn't insist on leading the poor girl around on a piece of string, you might find these places more open to you....
    She eats better than I do.

• The pubs I go to in Brighton are all dog-friendly afaik (maybe not the Caxton...can't remember seeing one there). I can definitely think of some that aren't child-friendly though.