Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dogs in Public. (Canine type)

What's Hot

Comments

• On a related note, and as someone who always picks up the turd no matter what, he one that always gets me is people picking up the shit, bagging it up, but then leaving the bag... surely that is worse than doing nothing! The entrance to our local dog fields is always littered with full crap sacks...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28663

To be fair to capo4th he isn't the one with the dog. He hasn't bought into dog ownership so it's not really his responsibility to know exactly how to behave around dogs.

I agree, but given how many dogs there are in the country it's probably sensible to have some idea of how to deal with them.

In the same way that people shouldn't push each other into rivers, but it's still sensible to learn to swim just in case.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I politely pointed out to a dog owner that she had left a large turd on the grass.

She could of picked it up but chose not to. I did not shout at anytime but she became angry when she realised she had been spotted leaving her dog shit in the park.

Like most dog owners she obviously thinks her own dog's shit smells of flowers and it can do no wrong.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6161
    Funny that.. I want for a Christmas lunch the other day with the in-laws at a place called the Sparrowhawk in Formby the other day and the place, which was quite posh, was full of dogs. The most I've ever seen in a pub/eatery. They must have been raking it in. The dogs were well behaved and the place was heaving.

Just shows you how profitable it can be if your business is dog friendly.

The staff were great and and the beer prices were good to and food was nice.. but bloody stingy so you don't want to be hungry when you visit it.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2406
    edited December 2016
    I'm always wary of folks who don't have pets!  Dog ownership is currently around 24% of Uk households which when considering our multicultural landscape is pretty high, so yes quite surprising that they are treated by establishments like vermin. I live in the sticks and don't tend to do urban these days so its not a problem for eating/drinking out. The Lakes has always been predominantly dog friendly and its on the increase slowly I think for the rest of the UK, but like Gassage said we are way behind places like France.
    The Three Shires at Little Langdale is muddy boot and muddy dog friendly, avoid at holiday times though when it is full of dreaded bearded Rab clad parents with ill behaved sprogs called Savannah and Dexter

• Strat54 said:

The Three Shires at Little Langdale is muddy boot and muddy dog friendly, avoid at holiday times though when it is full of dreaded bearded Rab clad parents with ill behaved sprogs called Savannah and Dexter

Definitely something that drives me nuts. I'd much rather be in a pub full of dogs, because even at 6 months old they know how to behave in public, and are generally pretty polite about wanting contact. However, we're expected not just to put up with screaming human offspring up to 12 years old tearing up the place, but smile and think it's cute. If you don't, you're somehow considered defective.
    <space for hire>
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Just bitten by a dog while out for a run. Sat in a and e at the moment. Leg is a bit of a mess. 

Given current circs you'd struggle to convince me of the advisability of widespread dog ownership. Had too many near misses and one nasty incident with the kids and now this.

While i know many people who i respect who love their dogs (including many on this very forum) for me there are just too many irresponsible and/or ignorant owners. 

Lady whose dog just bit me was more concerned that I didn't report it than with any regard for my welllbeing. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Why do some dog owners leave the bags of dog shit hanging from trees/bushes - what's that all about?
  • I was cycling down the canal the other day and saw what looked like an entire wheelie bin full of dog turds in bags that had been emptied onto the toll path. Literally hundreds of them that had probably been saved up over several weeks. Disgusting.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28663
    capo4th said:
    I politely pointed out to a dog owner that she had left a large turd on the grass.

Erm... previously you posted that you'd said to her "you are disgusting and so is your dog".

That's not actually polite.

I'm not defending dog owners who don't clean up after their dogs, but your made-up hero story is inconsistent.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    mellowsun said:
    Why do some dog owners leave the bags of dog shit hanging from trees/bushes - what's that all about?

Some dog owners believe such things are magically cleaned up for them:

http://www.keepbritaintidy.org/Documents/ImageUploads/Dog fouling/8092_PooFairy_Poster_op.jpg

Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• GassageGassage Frets: 30945
    On a parallel, the market for smoking hotel rooms is now so huge that many are reversing their decisions.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• I was cycling down the canal the other day and saw what looked like an entire wheelie bin full of dog turds in bags that had been emptied onto the toll path. Literally hundreds of them that had probably been saved up over several weeks. Disgusting.
    To be fair, it's unlikely that any irresponsible owner would put in enough effort to save all those bags, cart them somewhere far away from home and then dump them. It's far more likely that some twat has decided to be a public nuisance, nick a public dog bin and drop the contents where it'd be an annoyance.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowd said:
    Just bitten by a dog while out for a run. Sat in a and e at the moment. Leg is a bit of a mess. 

Given current circs you'd struggle to convince me of the advisability of widespread dog ownership. Had too many near misses and one nasty incident with the kids and now this.

While i know many people who i respect who love their dogs (including many on this very forum) for me there are just too many irresponsible and/or ignorant owners. 

Lady whose dog just bit me was more concerned that I didn't report it than with any regard for my welllbeing. 

Shit, hope you're okay. 

I don't approve of twats who let their dogs off the lead in places where there is likely to be other people. It's just stupid - I have a very intelligent, wonderfully well trained border collie who has never hurt a soul and is perfectly well behaved off her lead - but since the fields are now quite popular with locals who want to keep fit, she stays on the lead. 

Common sense. A border collie, no matter how cute, is still a dog and can hurt people. Owners need to be utterly responsible - the dog, in this case, shouldn't be punished but I'd have the owner cover all costs of treatment for you. Maybe then they'll keep the lead on. 

My dog is pretty great with other dogs, but one time a jack russell off the lead came sprinting over and immediately started being aggressive. Border collie, being as smart as she is, hunched up, gave a really guttural growl and hid behind me. I was shooing this fucking Jack Russel for about 20 seconds before the owner caught up and told me he was a friendly dog and just excited. 

Yeah? Well, if he's going to do that to every dog he meets, shouldn't he be on a lead? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    kjdowd said:

Shit, hope you're okay. 

I don't approve of twats who let their dogs off the lead in places where there is likely to be other people. It's just stupid - I have a very intelligent, wonderfully well trained border collie who has never hurt a soul and is perfectly well behaved off her lead - but since the fields are now quite popular with locals who want to keep fit, she stays on the lead. 

Common sense. A border collie, no matter how cute, is still a dog and can hurt people. Owners need to be utterly responsible - the dog, in this case, shouldn't be punished but I'd have the owner cover all costs of treatment for you. Maybe then they'll keep the lead on. 

My dog is pretty great with other dogs, but one time a jack russell off the lead came sprinting over and immediately started being aggressive. Border collie, being as smart as she is, hunched up, gave a really guttural growl and hid behind me. I was shooing this fucking Jack Russel for about 20 seconds before the owner caught up and told me he was a friendly dog and just excited. 

Yeah? Well, if he's going to do that to every dog he meets, shouldn't he be on a lead? 
    Exactly. This was off its lead yards away from a sign saying that dogs should be on the lead. Been to a and e and got patched up. Risk of infection is quite high so on the antibiotics straight away, but sure I'll be fine. 

What infuriates me though is the owners attitude. No offer of help (walked home with blood running down me leg), no concern - just wanted to justify the dogs actions. 
  • kjdowd said:
    kjdowd said:

Shit, hope you're okay. 

Exactly. This was off its lead yards away from a sign saying that dogs should be on the lead. Been to a and e and got patched up. Risk of infection is quite high so on the antibiotics straight away, but sure I'll be fine. 

What infuriates me though is the owners attitude. No offer of help (walked home with blood running down me leg), no concern - just wanted to justify the dogs actions. 

Well, you'd know if you had something serious within an hour or so, so the antibiotics will stave off anything else nasty.

Glad you're okay. Owner sounds like a right knobber. 

• Yeah? Well, if he's going to do that to every dog he meets, shouldn't he be on a lead? 
    Exactly. Thing is, as much as you try to tell these people that their dog doing that is exactly what causes other people's dogs to turn dog-reactive, it's like talking to a fucking brick wall. Because their dogs are invariably small cute things, they're pathologically incapable of understanding the harm they're causing by not training and handling their dog properly.

Our dogs are among the largest and smallest around, and guess what? They're always on leads unless they're in the private field we rent for them to run around in. It's common sense, it protects them and it protects other dogs.
    <space for hire>
  • I guess my feelings on dogs is pretty well known, but for those people who do keep their dogs well under control: thank you. It is very much appreciated.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Joggers than run past dogs are asking for trouble 

They get all high and mighty should a dog then want to run with them or chase them 

They're in the same bracket of idiots that drive there cars fast and close whist passing horses 

And any dog that has a tendacy to bite for whatever reason should be muzzled in a public place. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    edited January 2017
    kjdowd said:
    kjdowd said:

Shit, hope you're okay. 

I hope you are ok and on the road to recovery.

You are a fool and irresponsible for not reporting this incident to the police there and then.  

The dog should be put to sleep how will you feel when it bites a child next week......
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom