Doyle Bramhall II

What's Hot
Saw Doyle with Eric Clapton a few years ago now but never really knew much about him. Anyway a few videos of him playing have popped up on my YouTube list recently and I quite like it.

Is anyone into his music and able to recommend a good album to start with?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I became aware of him through his involvement with the Derek Trucks band a few years back. I was listening to his latest album Rich Man on Spotify recently and it's really good with the slight caveat that I am not sure his material sticks with me. There is so much of that bluesy, rocky, funky American music about that it takes something really special song wise to stand out. 
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22997
    I've only got the Arc Angels album from the early 90s and one of his solo albums, Welcome.  They both have some good tracks (very good in the case of Arc Angels) but there is a lot of pretty bland stuff too.

That said, I am much more of a rock fan and increasingly uninterested in blues, so you may feel very differently! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The Arc Angels album is very good, more bluesy rock than blues but has been one of my favourite albums for years. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I saw a clip of him playing with Clapton and liked it a lot.

But he should never have allowed a Roadie to string his guitar for him.
    Never do that. :s
    Massive credit to him that he even made it to the end of the song.

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1384
    Jellycream and Welcome are both killer records. He kicks ass all over EC's Live in San Diego album alongside Derek Trucks. Also, Roger Waters' In The Flesh Live. Yeah, I love Doyle!
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3884
    Latest album is amazing: Rich Man. Start there
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    His dad wrote some SRV songs, right?
  • Yes. Apparently also the drummer on Family Style. He also played drums with Marc Benno who co-wrote at least one of the Arc Angels songs. The circle of life or summat...

lukedlb said:
    His dad wrote some SRV songs, right?

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • This album is great: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fitchburg-Street-Doyle-Bramhall/dp/B001FB2MEA/

His earlier album "Bird Nest On The Ground" is also very good. I particularly like his version of "I Can See Clearly".

R.
  • I like Doyle as well,listened his music and was so excited to see him live in London.Live gig was so poor,could't believe that's same geezer.Heard something he is having problem with drugs or so, must be that reason for very poor performance.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
    Big fan here. He does seem to be a bit of a twat with all his hairdos and stuff though... but genuine blues just oozes from his pores.
    When he's got his shit together he's the real deal.. but I think his ego gets in the way of his talent. 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2397
    I like Doyle as well,listened his music and was so excited to see him live in London.Live gig was so poor,could't believe that's same geezer.Heard something he is having problem with drugs or so, must be that reason for very poor performance.
    No drugs since the Arc Angels days in the very early 90's. Been a big fan since Arc Angels and saw them twice back in the day and once at Bush Hall several years back. Also saw him with E.C and a couple of times solo too including at The Borderline. Always amazing. Hopefully he will play here next year on his Euro tour.
    If you are a rock fan them I'd go for the Smokestack 'Welcome' cd....but for me all are great. Don't confuse his records with his father's (also Doyle Bramhall) if you are ordering online ...you wouldn't be the first, although I like both.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2397
    This album is great: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fitchburg-Street-Doyle-Bramhall/dp/B001FB2MEA/

His earlier album "Bird Nest On The Ground" is also very good. I particularly like his version of "I Can See Clearly".

R.
    Thats his dad! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm a fan of Jellycream and Welcome but I'm struggling with the new one a bit. Welcome is a proper SRV/Hendrix tour de force imo - I still shamelessly rip off a load of the licks from "Helpless Man" and "Problem Child" even now.  
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

I like Doyle as well,listened his music and was so excited to see him live in London.Live gig was so poor,could't believe that's same geezer.Heard something he is having problem with drugs or so, must be that reason for very poor performance.
    I'm surprised. I saw him with Clapton twice and solo once (last time he played Shepherds Bush, with Rich Robinson almost 2 yrs ago I think) and he's never been anything less than brilliant.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30930
    I have a big downer on Bramhall. I find his playing so unmusical, very staccato and choppy.

I just don't get the love for him.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    I have a big downer on Bramhall. I find his playing so unmusical, very staccato and choppy.

I just don't get the love for him.
    He has one of the most distinctive vibratos of any player since the 70s. Sure, his songwriting might be a bit inconsistent but his playing has basically been the reason to go to a Clapton gig for about 15 years.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    edited January 2017
    Lots of cool elements on the new record, but it's a bit bland..., it sounds really over compressed and the drums seem really lifeless and generic - the snare sounds like a cardboard box.