Lightroom Mobile - I LOVE this app

even if it's missing some crucial features.

Seriously, I go out, shoot photos on my D7200, use nfc to connect to my phone (the nikon app is a bit buggy, but hey, they'll hopefully fix it), transfer a handful of raw files across, edit them using the app, export them to jpeg and share across social media - all while I'm still out. 

I wish it had creator/contact/copyright metadata editing and renaming (seriously, you can't rename in the app?!) but it works well and the images come out decent enough for social media. The algos are different for sure (basically less powerful) but you can do curves, highlights, shadows, whites, blacks, white balance and even HSL. 

It means my camera comes with me everywhere, and I now have an instagram account - my shite phone camera (which is broken and renders everything as purple!) no longer prevents me from sharing images taken on the go. It also seems to link with your creative cloud account, so I *think* there is a way of me downloading these images onto my desktop for a proper edit if I want, but I've not yet worked that out. 

Magic. I hope Adobe let us batch rename and add a metadata preset in a future update. 

Just sharing in case any of you didn't know it existed - I discovered it a couple of weeks ago.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    I'll be able to use it when I get a 5D4 with wifi built in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'll be able to use it when I get a 5D4 with wifi built in.

It's really cool. I don't know that it could be incorporated into a "work" workflow as the sliders seem less powerful (I can bring the clarity up to about 30 in the app and it looks nice, where it starts looking like a horribly toned HDR on the computer by about 20) and it obviously doesn't have adjustable sharpening or noise reduction (which both require quite serious power) but there are presets (I don't use any - I very rarely use noise reduction on the computer anyway). 

But it's nice for sharing images taken with a dslr quickly. 

It does suck away battery life of the phone, but my d7200 easily lasts a whole day despite using WiFi. I have the WiFi switched off but nfc on so it only comes on when it is needed. I do grip the camera, but the first battery had over 50 percent of its juice. 
  • I love the idea of this but there was some reason I didn't go for it. How is it paid for? CC subscription only?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I love the idea of this but there was some reason I didn't go for it. How is it paid for? CC subscription only?

I think it's cc subscription only - but could be totally wrong. It certainly does something syncing to the cloud, but I've not worked out what yet as my computer is so fucking shit it won't open Lightroom any more. 

I have a new desktop now, just need a new power cable for it (it's impossible working out which one I need, but I got nearly 500 quid knocked off the price for it missing!) and a space to put it in my room (hence the uber clear out I'm currently having). So when that's up and running (hopefully in the next week) I'll check all the integration to the desktop app and let you know. 

I didn't like the idea of renting software - but I must admit, if they get all the right features in, it could be a really nice, integrated platform. 

Photoshop mobile, on the other hand, is total dogwank. Don't bother. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6068
    I love the idea of this but there was some reason I didn't go for it. How is it paid for? CC subscription only?

I didn't like the idea of renting software - but I must admit, if they get all the right features in, it could be a really nice, integrated platform. 

Are you using Mac or PC? Looking into it I read comments from Mac users reporting that the apps spent inordinate amounts of time checking/syncing with Adobe. I eventually found a CS Pro 5.5 license for the cost of a couple of months rental of Adobe's current offerings. If I was doing it for a living I guess the current releases might be more important for compatibility and sharing but so far the older versions are meeting all my needs.
  • JezWynd said:
    I love the idea of this but there was some reason I didn't go for it. How is it paid for? CC subscription only?

Are you using Mac or PC? Looking into it I read comments from Mac users reporting that the apps spent inordinate amounts of time checking/syncing with Adobe. I eventually found a CS Pro 5.5 license for the cost of a couple of months rental of Adobe's current offerings. If I was doing it for a living I guess the current releases might be more important for compatibility and sharing but so far the older versions are meeting all my needs.

Windows and Android. No issue, but my computer isn't working well so I'll report back when the new one is up and running. 

The cost is a bit high really - I didn't have the money to buy licenses outright so this was my only option, but I got it for about 1/3rd off in a promotion - I think I pay £8-£9 per month instead of about £12ish.

Basically, mine was under £100 for the first year. I'm familiar with it too - I didn't want to spend quite a bit of money changing only to have to relearn, and free options didn't offer anything near the integration of Lightroom imo. 

I may switch it up next summer when my subscription runs out and try something new, but for now I'm happy enough... Sort of.