Recording videos for practice/sharing

BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
edited January 2017 in Studio & Recording
Hi chaps

What's do you use to record yourself playing for basic practice/sharing purposes?

Do you just use a smartphone? I can take decent video using the webcam on the MacBook but I find the audio is a bit crap.

The phone is quite good audio wise as it can be positioned right by the amp but that limits how much control you have over the video.

Maybe I need one of those mobile phone tripods! 

The amp can record straight into GarageBand for better sound quality but that means faffing about syncing up an audio and video file and ideally I just want to be able to hit record and go. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33858
    edited December 2016
    iPhone with a remote to engage recording- because most of the time I am behind a drum kit and the phone is at the other side of the room on a tripod.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    That's not a bad idea! 
  • I've been considering a camcorder or webcam.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

I've been considering a camcorder or webcam.
    Yea but what are you going to use for guitar practice? :)
  • If there's enough light iPhone 6 or later does an ok job. I've got a Zoom iQ5 attachment for better sound.
    If there's enough light iPhone 6 or later does an ok job. I've got a Zoom iQ5 attachment for better sound.
    I've seen those, are they a big upgrade on the iPhone mic?
  • Phone for instagram but for videos I have a Canon camera. Should have got one with mic input though as I have to sync video & audio which is a pain. 
    BRISTOL86 said:
    If there's enough light iPhone 6 or later does an ok job. I've got a Zoom iQ5 attachment for better sound.
    I've seen those, are they a big upgrade on the iPhone mic? @guitarfishbay
  • Ah sorry I missed that first time.

Yes I think it sounds better than the mic onboard my iPhone 6. I'm not sure if there's anything better now though, or if there's enough difference between it and newer iPhones.
    Thanks mate! Some of the videos on instagram have amazing sound. I'm guessing they're done as a seperate video and audio recording and then synced but I'm after a solution that's a bit less faff. 

The default iPhone 6 mic sounds terrible to me. Maybe I need to try different positions relative to the amp. 
    Just realised I had this in the wrong forum! Any recording gurus here that can weigh in with what would be a good solution for my simple needs?