Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Victoria Beckham OBE

What's Hot

Comments

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    They didn't go far enough - lord and lady Becks far more appropriate - epitome of take your skill work like stink, do some good stuff on the way.

Err, isn't that what everybody should do? My mum and dad did that, nobody gave them a medal.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martinw said:
    Fretwired said:
    For services to fashion. Well deserved.  :o
    She's also done a lot for charity as @RobDavies eloquently points out .. :-)

Quite easy when you're a billionaire. Not like she has to do the housework, or, well, anything. At all.

I'm more impressed by people who have very little, yet still manage to do voluntary work, etc.

Also, she got the gong for services to fashion, not charity. I see anyone like that as getting an award for services to making themselves rich. Yay, well done, greedy bastard.

Just to pmay devils avocado. Why do you think this? If one person doing something that is very little effort to them provides more material benefit to charity than 100 (say) people workibg on  the front lines as it were then Id pick the former all day long. I appreciate that what you want to reward is personal sacrifice but that isnt an efficient way to encourage behaviour that will get results. Further being deeply machivellian rewarding someone in the public eye for charitable work probably encourages others to make larger personal sacrifices anyway. Whereas rewarding someone who no has heard of might not have the same effect.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    martinw said:
    Fretwired said:

Quite easy when you're a billionaire. Not like she has to do the housework, or, well, anything. At all.

I'm more impressed by people who have very little, yet still manage to do voluntary work, etc.

Also, she got the gong for services to fashion, not charity. I see anyone like that as getting an award for services to making themselves rich. Yay, well done, greedy bastard.

Just to pmay devils avocado. Why do you think this? If one person doing something that is very little effort to them provides more material benefit to charity than 100 (say) people workibg on  the front lines as it were then Id pick the former all day long. I appreciate that what you want to reward is personal sacrifice but that isnt an efficient way to encourage behaviour that will get results. Further being deeply machivellian rewarding someone in the public eye for charitable work probably encourages others to make larger personal sacrifices anyway. Whereas rewarding someone who no has heard of might not have the same effect.

You've missed the point. I didn't say that she shouldn't get it for charitable work; she didn't in fact, she got it for services to fashion.

I'm not against some people getting them for services to charity, but with wealthy people, I have to ask; if they care so much why not set an example by giving all their money away first and show us how material gains are not the measure of a person? Now that would be worthy of a gong, but it won't happen. Being fair though, I suppose it might be possible for someone who is very focussed on charity work, and raising awareness etc, to be able to do that better from a position of influence, particularly in our celebrity obsessed culture. Giving away 10% of your clothes doesn't count! (Or even 90% if the remaining 10% is still more than most people will ever have).

Rich people can manage their way to an award by appearing to 'do' charity work. Poor people have to actually get off their arses.

Addressing your point though, I'm old fashioned enough to think that a national award system should be for actual service 'above and beyond' that benefits others, not an incentive scheme.

There was a section on my local news programme last night listing those local people who'd got an award....quite humbling, and such a contrast to the civil servants, sportspeople, celebrities etc that make the news.

Personally I'd scrap the whole thing as anachronistic, and replace it with some sort of community-level thing for the local heroes.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I never understood how she got so 'big'..
    especially given that she started out as a pro singer that couldn't really sing that well

I think everything started for her in a big way when she married Becks..
    somehow she developed a brand from just being her

as for the charity stuff… that's much easier to do when you have a huge brand and huge bank account
    being a little cynical, it just furthers the brand..
    in that respect I'd be more inclined to tip my hat to George Michael cos it seems that very few people realised how charitable he was until after he died.. basically doing good deeds quietly in the background without looking for recognition for it..
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • martinw said:
    martinw said:
    Fretwired said:

You've missed the point. I didn't say that she shouldn't get it for charitable work; she didn't in fact, she got it for services to fashion.

I'm not against some people getting them for services to charity, but with wealthy people, I have to ask; if they care so much why not set an example by giving all their money away first and show us how material gains are not the measure of a person? Now that would be worthy of a gong, but it won't happen. Being fair though, I suppose it might be possible for someone who is very focussed on charity work, and raising awareness etc, to be able to do that better from a position of influence, particularly in our celebrity obsessed culture. Giving away 10% of your clothes doesn't count! (Or even 90% if the remaining 10% is still more than most people will ever have).

Rich people can manage their way to an award by appearing to 'do' charity work. Poor people have to actually get off their arses.

Addressing your point though, I'm old fashioned enough to think that a national award system should be for actual service 'above and beyond' that benefits others, not an incentive scheme.

There was a section on my local news programme last night listing those local people who'd got an award....quite humbling, and such a contrast to the civil servants, sportspeople, celebrities etc that make the news.

Personally I'd scrap the whole thing as anachronistic, and replace it with some sort of community-level thing for the local heroes.

Yeah I realize that this is a bit of an aside from Victoria Beckham but I'm just mulling over whether it is basically more appropriate to reward effort than results. It's a question that extends beyond just charity as well and I think realistically there are occasions when you should do a mixture of both, but what I would challenge is that recognizing an objectively materially significant contribution is somehow not worth doing just because it is not subjectively material to the donor.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Isn't the British Empire defunct? So, how can you get an accolade from it?

Can't stand all this nonsense -  out of date cronyism. IMO it should all be ditched.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13957
    Can I have Tesco Clubard points instead?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843
    Clarky said:
    I never understood how she got so 'big'..
    Implants - if the rumours are to be believed....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    In all honesty, thinking back, the poor girl deserves an OBE for Services to my Early Teenage masturbation....
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9732
    ...and David might not have got an OBE, but he's got his Victoria cross.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24422
    edited February 2017
    Who. Fecking. Cares.  Skinny dancing stick that used to be in a manufactured girl band is "awarded" a nonsensical, anachronistic series of words, a bit of paper and a bit of metal attached to some coloured ribbon ?

If it's important to the kiddies, let them have their bits of metal and coloured ribbons to play with - I've got more important things to worry about - like did my toenail clipping just land in my boiled egg.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33826
    Nurse, he's out of bed again.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4317
    Emp_Fab said:
    Who. Fecking. Cares.  Skinny dancing stick that used to be in a manufactured girl band is "awarded" a nonsensical, anachronistic series of words, a bit of paper and a bit of metal attached to some coloured ribbon ?

If it's important to the kiddies, let them have their bits of metal and coloured ribbons to play with - I've got more important things to worry about - like did my toenail clipping just land in my boiled egg.
    So, you're losing your shit, about people losing their shit, about something. Do you not see the irony?

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    CHRISB50 said:
    Emp_Fab said:

So, you're losing your shit, about people losing their shit, about something. Do you not see the irony?
    I'm not entirely sure Emp is losing his shit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited February 2017

hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24422
    Reverend said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Indeed.  I'm very calm.  I have the best temperament.  I'm hearing people saying how calm I am.  Especially now that I know my toenail didn't land in my egg.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    Reverend said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Indeed.  I'm very calm.  I have the best temperament.  I'm hearing people saying how calm I am.  Especially now that I know my toenail didn't land in my egg.
    Losing your toenail, yes. But not losing your shit. 

That would be rather worrying, and you might find it again at a rather inopportune moment. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33826
    Emp_Fab said:
    Reverend said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Emp_Fab said:

From now on I will imagine your posts in the style of Donald Trump.
    Emp has the biglyest posts