Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Would you accept a knighthood/MBE/OBE/CBR?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72375
    No.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • marcus449marcus449 Frets: 151
    edited December 2016
    I don't really need the royal family's validation. I'm good as I am
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes it would be an honour. 
    Like Thorpy, as a service man or a former service man you swear an allegiance to the Queen and If you deserve it why not. 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Of course I would. 

I find it strange that people would turn it down.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    If accept a knighthood,  but change my name by deed poll. 

Perhaps to Rock Sallot.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited December 2016
    If I was a well paid sports person (winnings or sponsorship) i would not. It i was a volunteer or somone who gives to society in other ways that does not lead to significant personal financial reward i would.

As it stands I'm neither, so a moot point.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Can you get them for services to pizza delivery?
  • It's difficult to believe that, at the beginning of 2017, anybody takes them seriously or indeed cares one way or the other.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It's difficult to believe that, at the beginning of 2017, anybody takes them seriously or indeed cares one way or the other.
    Fair point. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    merlin said:
    I can't help thinking that the very reasons for doing community/charity work would be totally devalued by accepting an honour from a system that creates a need for community/charity work. 

If your intentions are just then you don't need validation. 

Yeah, this and the royal bollocks is why I wouldn't.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Let's just say I'm dubious about people who like to claim that they'd put moral principles first and wouldn't be greedy for money/status/power in theoretical situations.  From my observation:

- percentage of people who claim they'd act out of principle and refuse honours/cash etc in such a theoretical situation = remarkably high

- percentage of people who actually do when put to the test = remarkably low

Call me an old cynic but my conclusion is that an awful lot of people out there are flattering themselves, or trying to delude the rest of us about the nobility of their character.

Not me. I do my best to keep my integrity and remain as honest as I can. I didn't post this to make a statement, I was just curious how many others felt the same as me. 
    My V key is broken
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    Knighting is like top 40 bullshit. There are loads of unsung heroes who will never get it, yet don't crave it. Leave it to devoid of personality sportspeople and that ilk. I don't recognise titles myself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    You still get a medal, right?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Shock news! A bunch of people who will never do anything in their lifetime that would earn them an honour are saying they wouldn't accept one!  :o 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    I said I'd take it!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72375
    I wouldn't accept one because the entire system which administers it is corrupt, even though many worthy people do also get them. Nothing to do with whether I do or don't support the monarchy - they don't choose the recipients anyway.

"Sir" Fred Goodwin? "Sir" Philip Green? People whose respective "services" consisted of destroying one of our greatest banks leaving the government having to buy it out, and bankrupting one of our greatest retail groups then selling it to a patsy for £1 while running off with the pension fund?

Yes, obviously those are extreme examples and I know Goodwin did have his knighthood taken away (and Green certainly should have), but it just shows the worthlessness of the 'honours' system.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Chalky said:
    Shock news! A bunch of people who will never do anything in their lifetime that would earn them an honour are saying they wouldn't accept one!  :o 
    Bit of an assumption, isn't it You might never do anything in your lifetime but the rest of us might have other plans.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    @holnrew If you're going to ask me can you please use the usual protocols and I'll make myself available.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited December 2016
    I'd feel quite miffed that the establishment would recognise anything I'm about as worthy of their approval. 

Therefore I'd accept any such plaudit as an irrelevance. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Absolutely not. 

A question for those who may know: at what point is a knighthood legal? I rather fancy accepting in writing then changing my mind during the ceremony just prior to the whole kneeling sword nonsense.