Hohner Concertophon lll Combo

wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
Any one know anything about these? I'm guessing its probably a voxish sort of sound? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142217567138. I'm nearly all amped up but it looks cool, It was on my watch list and hes just knocked it down some so might entertain offers. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I recognise that control set up. But not as a hohner though, I think it's a made under license amp, I'm sure Bird did an amp like that or someone. Will have to google it later. Had a lovely tremolo. 
  • Actually, looks like an old Selmer, certainly in design and knobs etc. 
    Looks nice either way. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    edited January 2017
    It looks similar in physical design to a cross between a Watkins and a Selmer, but it's unlikely to be the same circuit as either. It's also not likely to be anything like a Vox - designers in those day were not so constrained by conventions of guitar amp circuitry, many were from 'proper' electronics backgrounds and did things their own way.

Might be worth checking what the other valves are, it's hard to see in the pic but they're not necessarily standard types that are used today, many older European amp used different ones and replacing them can sometimes be difficult, although none I know of are impossibly rare.

It looks very cool. The seller put me right off by calling it "she" though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickersticker Frets: 869
    is it a guitar amp ? The Hohner Concerto was/is an accordion and the Hohner logo on it is the old MHohner logo from accordions and harmonicas ...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    sticker said:
    is it a guitar amp ? The Hohner Concerto was/is an accordion and the Hohner logo on it is the old MHohner logo from accordions and harmonicas …
    Some old guitar amps have an input marked 'accordion' too!

You can play anything through it, regardless of what it was originally designed for - although bass or keyboards might not be a good idea at high volume, largely for the speakers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickersticker Frets: 869
    ah I see , just wondered if the speakers would be up to the job ...