Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What film have you watched the most?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Philly_Q said:
    No real surprises there!

I must confess I've never seen It's A Wonderful Life.  It's probably more well known and highly regarded in the US than the UK, but I still should've seen it by now!  I think it's partly because there's never been a really definitive edition on Blu-ray or DVD, if there had been I'd have undoubtedly bought it.

You have to see it. Its an absolute masterpiece.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24592
    I rarely watch a film several times anymore.  I have to admit I've ruined several for myself by watching them so much I'm now bored with them for, probably, decades.  I'm trying not to watch some I like so that I can re-like them sooner - if that makes any sense at all !

However, the ones with the highest play count for me are probably the Back to the Future trilogy, T2, Aliens, Captain Corelli's Mandolin (only because I love Kefalonia), Apollo 13, Heat, LOTR original trilogy (not so keen on the later Hobbit ones).

I noticed someone mentioned Schindler's List earlier....  Now that's unique to me in that it's the only film I thought was incredible, that I've seen only once and that I know I will never see again.  It was so heartbreaking I couldn't go through that again.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16316
    Philly_Q said:
    No real surprises there!

I must confess I've never seen It's A Wonderful Life.  It's probably more well known and highly regarded in the US than the UK, but I still should've seen it by now!  I think it's partly because there's never been a really definitive edition on Blu-ray or DVD, if there had been I'd have undoubtedly bought it.

You have to see it. Its an absolute masterpiece.
    IAWL wasn't a very well known film but in the US the copyright ran out in 1974 and not reinstated until 1993 so it got shown a lot on a lot of different channels for those 19 years which added a lot to it being so familiar.
    It is a fantastic film; Mark Kermode was doing a piece on it on radio 5 before xmas talking about it's darkness whereas it tends to be seen as something rather lightweight/ saccharine. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72890
    Philly_Q said:

I hadn't until now either - I got it on DVD before Christmas. (HMV, in the 2 for £10 section.) It comes as the original B&W film, plus a colourised version.

It is very good, if very much of its time - I'm not sure I'd want to watch it over and over though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I'm gonna get a roasting for saying I've watched Brassed Off about 40 times.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 550
    Dawn of the Dead
    The Warriors
    Star Wars Trilogy
    Enter the Dragon
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12468
    Jalapeno said:
    Will watch any of these any time they are on

Forbidden Planet
    T2
    John Carter
    Serenity
    Pulp Fiction
    Jackie Brown
    Shawshank Redemption
    Casablanca
    The Maltese Falcon
    The Big Sleep
    Blade Runner
    A Bridge Too Far
    (First half hour of) Saving Private Ryan
    The Longest Day

But most watches ever is one of these two
    The Big Lebowski
    Some Like It Hot
    ... hard to say which is the leader

I've never ever managed to see Forbidden Planet all the way through. I've tried three or four times but it  literally sends me to sleep. I've wondered if it's something to do with the weird theramin soundtrack. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11493
    edited January 2017
    Frozen. I have two daughters. 

This.  When compared with Barbie Charm School, Frozen is a masterpiece.

Discounting ones my daughters watch, it would probably be The Princess Bride, or the first Back to the Future.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23486
    edited January 2017

@EricTheWeary  @UnclePsychosis  @ICBM       ;Ok, I'm convinced, I've ordered It's A Wonderful Life.

I went for the latest US edition on Blu-ray, it's the same old transfer as all the other editions but at least the colourised (or is that colorized?) version is on a separate disc so I can use it as a coaster.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16316
    It is a Christmas movie so watched about every two years on Christmas Eve is about right.

ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

I hadn't until now either - I got it on DVD before Christmas. (HMV, in the 2 for £10 section.) It comes as the original B&W film, plus a colourised version.

It is very good, if very much of its time - I'm not sure I'd want to watch it over and over though.

If nothing else it's sufficiently iconic that there's a shed load of references to it in film, music and tv that will suddenly make sense. Bert and Ernie in the Muppets are named after characters in it, Donnie Darko is in part based on it ( apparently), Mr Burns in the Simpsons is effectively Mr Potter from it ( and IAWL is referenced multiple times in Simpsons episodes), the band Zuzu's Petals are named after part of it,etc,etc. 

Philly_Q said:

@EricTheWeary  @UnclePsychosis  @ICBM       ;Ok, I'm convinced, I've ordered It's A Wonderful Life.

I went for the latest US edition on Blu-ray, it's the same old transfer as all the other editions but at least the colourised (or is that colorized?) version is on a separate disc so I can use it as a coaster.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • No-one said Groundhog Day yet...?