Freesat - Anyone use it?

2»

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12419
    edited January 2017
    GSPBASSES said:
     The big downside to losing sky, I will not be able to watch F1, as it appears that no other channel will be showing it this year. 
    Channel 4 still have F1 coverage for 2017 and 2018. They've got to sort out which races they're covering but it should be the same mix of full coverage and highlights as 2016. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    The only thing stopping me cancelling Virgin is the internet. My bill is now £49 per month for 150mb Internet and TV L. 

You can get a free trial for Now TV, I'm currently testing the kids tv on the Xbox one as that's pretty much all that gets used apart from Discovery channel. 

If you have games console you can use an app to trial it or check the list of devices here. You don't necessarily need an extra box or device. 

http://www.nowtv.com/devices

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1477
    edited January 2017
    MrBump said:
    Maybe it's a common theme for 2017, but I'm planning on ditching Sky too over the next few months - TV, broadband, the lot.  However, I'll probably go with BT telly and subscription services.  Netflix/Amazon are pretty good value still, I think.  Sky sucks.
    Good luck with BT if you ever have a problem (which is likely). Absolutely fucking horrendous customer service. Sky, on the other hand have only ever been helpful if I've called them. 

(that said, if I'm ever able to get faster internet in my area, I'll be moving to NowTV)
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Ive just spoken to Virgin about cancelling the TV and reducing the internet speed and it was quite an eye opener. Firstly he  read out the top limit of my usage, the kids are either both on Youtube (tablet and phone), the Xbox and the computer along with the wife and my phone plus the laptop, 1TB+. Not the record but he said top end use so the internet would be OK as it sits at 150mb.
     The TV on the other hand is where the concern for me lay. I watch 2 or 3 of the extra channels max, anyhing else would be on Freeview and I could have the kids NowTv pass for £2.99 per month. If I cut the TV and had just the internet the bill would drop from £49 to £31.25 for 6 months then up to £34.25 for the rest of the contract. Thats one hell of a saving on a bill thats guaranteed to go up every year by about 10%. Im giving myself a few days to think about it but it could be bye bye TV for me.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• I've gone Internet only with Virgin media with a 50Mb service. I use Freesat for broadcast TV and have a Roku for on-demand services. We still have a landline but it's a Vonage VOIP box which also uses the Internet. Virgin costs me about £28pm
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader
    I've started the process of getting rid of sky, last night I ordered a BT package which includes a recorder. This is going to cost me £10 a month for the first year, then £18 a month thereafter. I also decided to have a BT engineer to come and install it, although my son said he installed his own in about 10 minutes, the only difference is his phone line is almost next to his television, where is mine is in a different room about 8 metres away with a brick wall in between. I will keep sky for 4 to 5 weeks, mainly because I've been away from most of December and over Christmas and I've most likely got 30 to 40 programs recorded that I want to watch before the sky goes. 

Slight change of subject, my new television, which is a Sony when I went to set up freesat, it asked me what satellite I was going to connect too and gave me a whole list of them, does anybody know what satellite the name or a number of it.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12419
    GSPBASSES said:
    I've started the process of getting rid of sky, last night I ordered a BT package which includes a recorder. This is going to cost me £10 a month for the first year, then £18 a month thereafter. 
    Presumably that's plus a monthly line rental charge? 
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader
    boogieman said:
    GSPBASSES said:
    I've started the process of getting rid of sky, last night I ordered a BT package which includes a recorder. This is going to cost me £10 a month for the first year, then £18 a month thereafter. 
    Presumably that's plus a monthly line rental charge? 
    The landline is extra, but I already pay BT for my landline and Internet. Consequently I will be £65 a month better off when I've got rid of sky. I've also looked at my phone bill and realised I'm playing about £15 a month for parts of my phone bill I don't actually need any more, like call identity, free evening  and weekends calls, and anytime calls, I don't need the services now as I have unlimited call time on my mobile, thats less  then I'm paying BT for the extra services.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    I've had BT TV and internet now for 2 years no issues really apart from one channel wouldn't work with they sorted quickly and easily. I pay £35.70 a month that includes the TV(plus sport), infinity broadband and line rental with the free evening and weekend calls. I think that's great value. I like most of you use Netflix or Amazon for tv shows mostly.