Guitars that you never expected to be worth much (that you happily modded over the years)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    edited August 2013
    Icbm, if ever he feels like selling that... :p
    It's gone already I'm afraid - he only had it a few months. I think it was a sort of mid-life crisis moment before he settled down into comfortable middle age with a Les Paul Custom :).

(He's younger than me I hasten to add, in case he happens to be reading this! :D)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 372

i had a red 88 prs studio that i fitted a humbucker in the neck ,not my smartest move

:-S
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Not my own mod but I had a really nice Yamaha SG 1500 back in the 90s that some fool had fitted a kahler to...Oh my the sustain went on for micro seconds....it was cheap and there was a reason...

I once played a gorgeous Strat, natural wood finish, fantastic neck, which had a Kahler installed. It was wrong in epic proportions

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• jimmydjimmyd Frets: 60
    I remember the guitar tech in nottingham who sorts my guitars telling me about his late 50s Tele that he'd routed out the body for a kahler trem and neck and bridge humbuckers...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 366
    I have this Am. series strat and I have changed pups many times, also the trem block, neck, installed the Surh silent backplate and am now about to strip the white poly finish off spray it with black nitro..

It's a gtr which although I'm not really crazy about, I have a strange connection with it and never thought of selling..

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    edited August 2013
    This is my 'modded' PRS McCarty 10 top in grey/black with moons. It never really sounded great to me, sort of middly and boxy, so I got Mansons to install a set of Bare Knuckle Mules and it totally transformed the guitar, sounds great now, miles better! http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j359/Fretfinder/b86699e3184379991e0b2cbdd260b9c4.jpg
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10666
    tFB Trader
    Amongst the dreadful deeds I perpetrated when working as a young repair man in the seventies ... routing a customer's 65 Strat for three humbuckers ... and fitting Super Distortions to any number of late sixties Les Pauls.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message