Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your pickup combinations.

What's Hot
ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
There are well know aftermarket pickup combos out there, like the Seymour Duncan 59/JB. In a bid to help me (and others) come up with alternative pickups option what are the best & worst after market pup combinations you have tried out?

What is the best bridge humbucker & neck single coil you have tried?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Don't do humbuckers, but I keep coming back to the Seymour Duncan SSL1 for Strat neck single coil. Has surpassed Fender CS 69, Fat 50s, CS Texas Special for me. I also love the Seymour Duncan Twangbanger in the bridge of a Strat. Got one in my main Strat (along with SSL1 in the neck), sounds great in combination with the neck pickup.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    edited January 2017
    My main guitar has a Suhr SSV+ humbcuker in the bridge and a Suhr ML neck pickup.
    They sound excellent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Worst pickup combination is position 2 and 4 of a Strat.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

6reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Best neck single coil I've tried is Bareknuckle apache. Best bridge HB a score draw between OX4 and Amber Spirit of 59
    impmann said:

Yeah that's not great in terms of mid/bridge or mid/neck pickups, but I've got mine wired so that position 2 is Bridge/Neck which I really like.
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    octatonic said:
    My mail guitar has a Suhr SSV+ humbcuker in the bridge and a Suhr ML neck pickup.
    They sound excellent.

Have a wisdom, I hadn't thought of Suhr pickups.

The best pup combo I've had is rather annoying - it was a SD 59 and a BKP in the bridge. I thought it was a Warpig but I was wrong. Never did find out what it was.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    The best strat combination I've used was mojo pickups, mind you that's all I use now

It was a split coil paf in the bridge and 2 60's single coils
    I really liked pos 2 with the paf and middle
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    edited January 2017
    I don't have any guitars with pickups by the big name brands or well-known makers, probably because I don't want to pay the prices. I have one guitar with a set of humbuckers made by Ben Fletcher that I really like - the neck is a low-wind alnico 2 assymetrical coil winds, about 6.9K total. In general I find I like low-wind alnico 2 or 3 paf-style buckers for the neck, to give a detailed articulate but sweet clean tone.

For the bridge pickup, after discussion with Ben, we went for an alnico 4 "paf" type, but I told him to wind it as hot as he thought sensible to go, given the pickup type. It ended up being a bit over 10K, still assymetrical wind on the coils, but there's obviously quite a bit of wire on both the bobbins. But it's great for smooth lead tones, and yet it still has a nice clean tone and mixes well with the neck pickup. I often find bridge pickups in humbucker sets just don't have enough volume to balance with the neck, but not here. The split coil tone is nice also. I'd say this is the best humbucker set I've had so far.
  • The only mixed set I have is on my primary guitar, an '88 Ibanez 540S. The neck is a DiMarzio single-sized Chopper which is thick and boomy, the middle is a True Velvet single coil to get those Alice-cooper tones, and the bridge is a Gravity Storm for raunchy (but not overpowering) sound. Replacing the IBZ set that was in there before, I think it's a nice combo and alot brighter and more alive sounding than the SD 59/JB set I had in an equivalent Jackson.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24372
    Lollar Black Face single coil for the neck.

SD Pearly Gates for the bridge.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3331
    I've honestly never liked any Bare Knuckle pickup I've tried so I can't recommend them

the pickup set that most surprised me for its versatility was the Duncan sentient and nazgul set. On paper they should be one trick ponies but they proved to be great. 

Singlecoil my fav is the dinarzio hs2 and the BC2
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    impmann said:
    Madness. Worst is 3. Position 4 (bridge/middle) is the true strat sound.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    I play TV Jones T-Armond in the neck and Power'Tron Plus in the bridge - love the sounds I can get out of them  :)
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
    carlos said:
    impmann said:
    Madness. Worst is 3. Position 4 (bridge/middle) is the true strat sound.
    For who? Not me, position 3 over the weak/nasally 2 or 4 any day. It's not like Leo Fender even designed or built the guitar with those sounds in mind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited January 2017
    Position 2 & 4 sound horrible. Such a cheesy nasty sound.

I'm really enjoying my Axesrus pickups - neck Late 50s P90 and bridge Purist humbucker. Really versatile and in this instance they sound better than any other pickups I've had in there including Bare Knuckle (Mules and black dogs). I was half expecting them to be rubbish for some reason but they're still hand wound pickups at a reasonable price. I'd say the Purist is like a Mule but a bit hotter and less "blank canvas" sounding if that makes any sense. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    Love the DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge with a Fast Track 1 or HS3 in the neck 
  • I tried all sorts of bridge pickups for my tele and was changing it regular, SD, David White, DiMarzio etc then I bought a David Florence Voodoo pickup, and ain't changed it since, that's about 13-14 years ago. 
    Was thinking of changing it recently, as I would like to try one of Ash's Oil City tappable units, but ain't gonna be playing live that much longer so not sure now. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7806
    My Schecter has SD59 and Custom Custom. I like both pickups but I don't think they work well together.

I like fender nocasters in a Tele and the oil city stone tone with scrapyard dog hb in my super strat.
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    Oil city stone tone with scrapyard dog hb in my super strat.
    Do they balance well between -the SYD and the neck pickup?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    My Schecter PT has a balanced set of Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta Humbuckers and they sound the business.