Blackstar HT5R vs Marshall DSL5C

NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
Has anyone out there chosen between these two amps? If so, why did you choose the one you did?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1634

Did not realize Marshall were using the 12BH7? Cheeky bastds!

The Five is about 12 quid more dosh (Andertons) but has a 12" speaker so you have a vast choice of swapperoonies. Also has reverb.

Dave.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I tried one of those Marshall 5 amps and hated it but then I don't much like Marshalls so my opinion counts for absolutely nothing.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Sassafras said:
    I tried one of those Marshall 5 amps and hated it but then I don't much like Marshalls so my opinion counts for absolutely nothing.
    Was it a DSL 5 or one of the many others (Class %, SL5 etc)?

Oh.. and all opinions count if they are based on actually trying the amps in question!
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited January 2017
    Yes, I had this exact same quandary back in the summer. I went in to buy an HT5R and ended up choosing the DSL5.  I think I put a thread on here about it at the time, but can't remember for sure.

Basically, I much preferred the Marshall but I don't seem to quite "get on" with the Blackstar amps I've tried. I don't like the ISF feature at all and found the DSL sounded more beefy and more like what I wanted. 6-8 months in with the DSL and I still really like it. I'd buy one again tomorrow if I was asked to choose again. It does exactly what I want from it and the clean and drive channels sounds great to me.

I think the Blackstar had a bit more of a "quality feel" to it, but the Marshall is solid and I just preferred it all round. The HT5R just seemed to lack something that the DSL has. I'm pretty sure the DSL was cheaper too.

I'd like built-in reverb but otherwise I'm delighted with the DSL.
    Found my thread... http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/79541/marshall-class-5#latest

As you'll see there, the DSL was slightly dearer so I got that wrong, but my memory of what I found on the day is about right. Sorry, I deleted my Photobucket so the links to the pics are broken but they didn't show anything helpful really.
  • MotorhateMotorhate Frets: 238
    I've just sold my HT-5 head. Used it for recording and it was OK-ish but for a rehearsal it just didn't cut it. Started to feedback pretty quickly while trying to compete with the rest of the band and just didn't do anything for me. If you're using it on high-gain and in a rehearsal situation (or even small gig) then a noise gate is essential and for live, mic'ing up is essential IMO.
    Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

andyp said:
    Found my thread... http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/79541/marshall-class-5#latest

As you'll see there, the DSL was slightly dearer so I got that wrong, but my memory of what I found on the day is about right. Sorry, I deleted my Photobucket so the links to the pics are broken but they didn't show anything helpful really.
    Thanks v much. I tried the Bassbreaker 15 last week and really liked it. No headphone out though. Will definitely try a DSL5c when I get a chance.

Out of interest, have you tried adding a reverb into the FX loop? Seems like that would make it identical to an HT5R, feature wise.
    No problem. :)

A headphone out was something I wanted the option of, but as it turns out I think I've only used it once (on the day I bought it) but if I ended up taking it home then I need that option so I can play at night once the kids are in bed. I chose that route rather than having to sell it and get something else should my work situation change as I'm away from home during the week so can play out loud without upsetting anyone. The Bassbreaker 15 was really the amp I was wanting to get but I play at low volumes (relatively speaking) as I'm very much a learner so I play it on the 1w option and the DSL seemed more suited to my criteria overall.

Regarding reverb, I have a Hall of Fame mini in the FX loop and it works perfectly. I did have a Mooer Shimverb but upgraded to the HOF and it's one of the best things I've bought. Looking back, I wasn't a fan of the Shimverb at all but didn't have much to compare it to.

I'm not sure what guitar or style you're playing, but as a bit of background my SG Faded sounds great with the DSL and so does my homebuilt Tele and my Epi LP. Also, my mate's 2016 LP Traditional sounded amazing through it. It does clean really well (for me, at least) but my preferred crunchy type tone is what I'm normally playing. I find my Soul Food and TS clone don't really like the drive channel though, so I've set that up how I want it with no drive pedals and only use those on the clean channel... so I guess that gives me 3 channels. Clean, Clean plus drive pedal(s), gain channel. The Marshall footswitch has been much more useful than I expected too, I use it all the time but I can't remember if the HT5R comes with one or not. I'm still a relative beginner but am finding this setup works ideally for me.
  • steersteer Frets: 1188
    HT5 does come with a footswitch.

I like my HT5, but have not tried the Marshall. 

A NOISE GATE for an HT-5 Motorhate?!!! The Five is probably THE quietest guitar amplifier on the planet.

I also don't really understand the feedback issue? That is a function of gain and the guitar, almost any amp can be MADE to feedback.

Dave.

ecc83 said:

A NOISE GATE for an HT-5 Motorhate?!!! The Five is probably THE quietest guitar amplifier on the planet.

I also don't really understand the feedback issue? That is a function of gain and the guitar, almost any amp can be MADE to feedback.

Dave.

It was when I used it at rehearsals and would crank it right up to the maximum. The feedback was constant which was annoying. I agree it's a quiet amp at lower volumes but if you're cranking it to the max, as with any low wattage amp being cranked up, a noise gate will take the feedback.
    Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

Motorhate said:
    ecc83 said:

Dave.

It was when I used it at rehearsals and would crank it right up to the maximum. The feedback was constant which was annoying. I agree it's a quiet amp at lower volumes but if you're cranking it to the max, as with any low wattage amp being cranked up, a noise gate will take the feedback.

No, still don't get it mate! The Five was still remarkably quiet even at full gain (wish I had one here to test!) I reckon you got a lemon.

Dave.

• I have a ht5r head which I use with a zilla cab and for home use its great. I tried 5 watters from Marshall and found the class 5 sounds crap and the 10 inch spkr in the dsl5c was crap too. I say have a look at the ht5r
    ecc83 said:
    Motorhate said:
    ecc83 said:

Dave.

No, still don't get it mate! The Five was still remarkably quiet even at full gain (wish I had one here to test!) I reckon you got a lemon.

Dave.

Quite possibly, i would not rule it out. it wasn't even usable feedback,  like the type I get from my 5150. Possibly a faulty valve but it wasn't pleasan5 whatever it was. I've got shot of my HT-5 now but still have a ht-1 combo which I use for practice which is fine. I don't have a downer on Blackstar, I'm all for a British company that can compete with the reputation that the 5150 and 6505 amps have. I must admit,  I've never played though a Marshall that I have ever liked. I've owned quite a few but just don't like them,  especially the Tel models

What's the emulated headphone out like on the htr5. I heard that in general the small tube amps lack the processors for a decent emulated out, so they sound like poo through headphones. Anyone got a view?
    NelsonP said:
    What's the emulated headphone out like on the htr5. I heard that in general the small tube amps lack the processors for a decent emulated out, so they sound like poo through headphones. Anyone got a view?

The EM out on the Five (and everything except Core AFAIK) is completely annyloggy filters  and has a 1x12 and 4x12 option IIRC? Reverb is digital but I have never read a bad word about it.

Whether the sound is to YOUR taste is of course in the lap of the dogs.

Dave.