Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Comments

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    I think I remember this one from a previous thread.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    5/6 - all but the Mozart one

I can definitely hear a clear difference when played back to back, but don't care too much generally
    Stop crying, start buying
  • I thought this might be a nef file comparison ;) after my own tests, I decided 12 bit lossy works... 

I'll have a go at the audio when I can borrow dad's new bose headphones. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 985
    I got 1/6 correct
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Through Apple earbuds on iPad I only got 3/6.

Through the Mac, Fosusrte ausio interface and Event TR8s I would hope to do better.

I keep all my music as 320kbps MP3 or 256 if its iTunes store downloads. It's plenty good enough. 

At 50 years old there's even less of the high and low end that I hear anyway

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    duotone said:
    I got 1/6 correct
    I was better than that but only just.

I think it does depend on the style of music.  A lot of that didn't have prominent cymbals.  You can hear something in the high end on the cymbals on the lower quality formats.  The one that did have more prominent cymbals was one of the ones I got right.
  • Through Apple earbuds on iPad I only got 3/6.

Through the Mac, Fosusrte ausio interface and Event TR8s I would hope to do better.

I keep all my music as 320kbps MP3 or 256 if its iTunes store downloads. It's plenty good enough. 

At 50 years old there's even less of the high and low end that I hear anyway

Age is a good point, there is a hearing test thingy on the web and me, the wife and the 3 kids all in the same room did it and the kids could hear the tone way beyond me and the missus
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    crunchman said:
    duotone said:
    I got 1/6 correct
    I was better than that but only just.

I think it does depend on the style of music.  A lot of that didn't have prominent cymbals.  You can hear something in the high end on the cymbals on the lower quality formats.  The one that did have more prominent cymbals was one of the ones I got right.
    Steel string acoustic guitar can be quite telling on a poorly encoded file as well.

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    I determined long ago that a good quality MP3 is fine enough to enjoy a song.  I got 3 right and of the other 3 chose the 320kbps mp3 twice.  I actually chose the 128kbps MP3 for the classical piece.

That being said I think a fixed time for "buffering" would make it a fairer test.  I have a fast internet connection but there is still a noticeable extra moment between clicking the play arrow and the lossless audio starting, compared with the MP3s.
  • crunchman said 
    Another good point and one that makes me choose vinyl over cd..
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7791

I listened on my (fairly decent) stereo which my PC is plugged into, though not very loud, and got 1/6 (I mostly chose the 320kbps MP3s).

I'll listen again tomorrow louder and see if I can do better ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3331
    3/6 using headphones into my laptop.

it was easier to tell by picking out one instrument and listening for clarity rather than the song as a whole
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I haven't taken the test (on a Laptop) but I like talking about it.

When I can be bothered I am going to see if I can fall asleep to a 320kbps MP3 version of a particular Rachmaninoff recording (in the same way that I can fall asleep to a Cd quality or higher version).
    Without knowing what I am listening to......and then checking the next morning.

If I can't fall asleep to the lower res version I may then make an annoying and presumptive forum post suggesting that my brain is busy filling in the gaps.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28381
    4/6 on laptop with AKG K272HDs.

I'll give it another go on the PC with a DAC and Shure SRHs.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24369
    I got 2.

I'll get better results when my Russ Andrews power cable arrives.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    edited January 2017
    3/5.

I skipped Coldplay.
    This was guesswork.  I couldn't tell the difference between the the 320 and the higher quality.  The 128 usually stood out.

Having listened to tapes I can't say I care much.

Edit: Samsung S7
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    You would need to download the test to your computer, feed the output to a decent DAC and listen through your hi-fi or quality headphones. If I at 60 going on 61 can easily tell the difference between WAV and FLAC files of the same piece of music... So don't use age as a reason for getting a poor result in that test. If you can hear that a string or two on your guitar is slightly out of tune, your hearing is good enough. The technology is letting you down and not your hearing.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24369
    Rocker said:
    You would need to download the test to your computer, feed the output to a decent DAC and listen through your hi-fi or quality headphones. If I at 60 going on 61 can easily tell the difference between WAV and FLAC files of the same piece of music... So don't use age as a reason for getting a poor result in that test. If you can hear that a string or two on your guitar is slightly out of tune, your hearing is good enough. The technology is letting you down and not your hearing.
    I'm not convinced that an ability to detect a different pitch is the same as detecting a difference in quality.

When you did your comparison - who clicked play for you so you had no warning of which format was playing?
  • <Geordie Accent>

Day 672 in the Big Brother house. Rocker is having double blind testing explained to him for the 500th time.

</Geordie Accent>

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    my ears have been "Marshalled" for decades
    I'm not even going to bother taking the test cos I won't hear a difference
    play every note as if it were your first