SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WITHDRAWN: Vintage Marhsall 4x12 circa 1973. T1221 Celestion Greenbacks.

What's Hot
BisonkillsBisonkills Frets: 0
edited January 2017 in Amps £
**In light of recent revelations on the collectable nature of the speakers in this cab, I am withdrawing the sale to assess the speakers properly and have a think about whether to sell or not! Adios for now! Thanks for the interest! **

Hi all, I used to frequent the previous incarnation of this forum and had a few good transactions on there. I am selling my Marshall 4x12 guitar cab. It's an original cab dating 1973, (model 1960 lead/bass or organ). Runs at 16 ohms, 100 watts, so will happily operate at 8 ohms as well. This model was voiced for more low end and sounds absolutely immense for any classic rock / Stoner rock / doom / sludge metal application, it absolutely nails down tuned stuff and no other cab I tried had the same low end oomph i was looking for.

It has been gigged, but generally well looked after. Always stored in a smoke free household. Some repairs worth mentioning that were made when I first acquired the cab; I fitted a new vintage style fret cloth, and one speaker has been replaced (with a new Celestion V30 and broken in).

Am looking for £320, £300 which is a bargain considering these are quite rare. Have priced for quick sale. It just isn't getting any use, I'm no longer in a band and I'd prefer it to be on stage blasting audiences. The cab was used to record this EP, and at the time I was running an ENGL Fireball with very little in the way of FX.

https://teargasandplateglass.bandcamp.com/album/vantage

Please PM if interested, must be able to collect from York. You are very welcome to come try it with a head of your choice!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Up! Offers welcome.
  • Up.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Could you send me some photos of the inside?
  • Luke, will see what I can do. Will update with internal photos when I get a moment. I think last time I attempted this it was hard to get into as some of the back panel screws are slightly threaded. 
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Do you know what speakers are in there.  Also interested in pictures of the inside. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• cosmiccarrotcosmiccarrot Frets: 91
    edited January 2017
    Look forward to seeing some internal pics.
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited January 2017
    If the corner protectors are original, then mid 72 to mid 73 would be my guess. they didn't use that style of serial tag for long. corner protectors came along on the cabs mid 72-ish?

"stock no.1960" is also really a lead cab, not a bass. they came with T1221's 75Hz G12M. the full text on the serial tag would be "type: bass, lead, organ".

the bass cabs (stock no.1935) came with the T1511 55Hz G12M

the 1982 cabs came with the T1281 55Hz G12H

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BisonkillsBisonkills Frets: 0
    edited January 2017
    Photos coming up, got one threaded screw that won't budge so expect some weird angles! Ha.

Cheers to Bygone Tones for the info. From the info you supplied, it's a 1972 lead cab.
    edited January 2017
    Serial number on the speakers is T1221, date stamp suggests 1971/72 I think. So they are early 70s G12M Greenbacks of the Rola / Celestion variety. 3 of these original speakers in the cab and one modern (broken in) Celestion V30 (fitted about 9 years ago). Apologies for the slightly crappy photos, had to get my phone in with one screw still in place on the back plate!

Kinda tempted to keep these and re-house them in a 2x12! But yeah, hit me up.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12430
    Blimey, surely the speakers alone are worth the asking price.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited January 2017
    Not necessarily. Are they valuable if the spider supports are coming off and need professional repair? are they valuable if there are tears in the cones? are they valuable if they are coil rubbing? Most speakers of that age are not perfect and not valuable, about 90% of them. Trust me on that. The main problem is that the glue Celestion were using back in those days has deteriorated now on the vast majority of speakers. Always got to check them over properly. Buying vintage is not the same as buying modern, got to be a lot more careful.

This is an extreme example, but shows the kind of thing you need to be careful of:

edited January 2017
    I can confirm there are definitely no cone tears in the Greenbacks, as this was checked when a new fret cloth was fitted. Cosmetically, they look and sound very good for their age.