Eric valentine on recording queens of the Stone Age

What's Hot
wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419

Found this interesting, Some stuff to try out at least. 
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Fascinating stuff, thanks for sharing
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Enjoyed that!
  • Thanks for posting that. I've always loved the guitar sounds on that record, really surprised its all mids---normally I don't like really middy sounds. Hmm.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7778
    Eric is a great engineer, he also designs and produces excellent studio gear.

I must say though that the gear in that video is pretty esoteric for even well off guitarists. An Ampeg B15, senn md441 and a Vintage RCA 44(IIRC) alone cost a fortune, not to mention the console & compressors.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    You wouldn't need the exact gear though- which is the point he was making.
    In rough numbers you need an amp, a few pedals and 3 mics (a darkish one, a brightish one, a neutral one) with some sort of submixer and could use plugins for the rest.
    Or you could record the tracks individually and sum them in your DAW.

Modern plugins would get you 80% of the way there.

I have hardware Distressors, as well as most of the main plugin compressors- most of the time now I use Slate compressors rather than the hardware and they sound fantastic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    octatonic said:
    You wouldn't need the exact gear though- which is the point he was making.
    In rough numbers you need an amp, a few pedals and 3 mics (a darkish one, a brightish one, a neutral one) with some sort of submixer and could use plugins for the rest.
    Or you could record the tracks individually and sum them in your DAW.

Modern plugins would get you 80% of the way there.

I have hardware Distressors, as well as most of the main plugin compressors- most of the time now I use Slate compressors rather than the hardware and they sound fantastic.
    Distressors are kinda like the missing link between old school hardware compressors and plugins. Very flexible tools!

I love my vari-mu compressors, and find that the plugins aren't quite there yet.

i love his robotic mic stands! Such a cool idea and makes less eq needed.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    Eric is a great engineer, he also designs and produces excellent studio gear.

I must say though that the gear in that video is pretty esoteric for even well off guitarists. An Ampeg B15, senn md441 and a Vintage RCA 44(IIRC) alone cost a fortune, not to mention the console & compressors.
    That undertone audio console is so cool. I love the way it was designed to minimise comb filtering.