Inexpensive, reliable, analog mixer recommendations please

What's Hot
absolutpepperabsolutpepper Frets: 222
edited January 2017 in Studio & Recording
Hi,

I'm building up my first proper home studio and i'm looking to pick up a decent analog mixer.  The main purpose of the mixer is to take multiple mic inputs from when I mic cabs up, then blend and eq them before I send them through my scarlette to the DAW.  Because I dont need it to work as a full on preamp, or to be laden with effects I was thinking a good, reasonably compact, reliable, low noise analog mixer with 8 - 12 channels would be the best.  

I should say I wont be using it to mix live, or as a controller for the DAW or for vocals so things like automation is less relevant.

Any tips, advice, and recommendations would be helpful.  I've got a bunch of other studio stuff to buy so i'll likely be looking on the used market.  Also, vintage is fine as long is it has a nice transparent pre and low noise floor.

Cheers,
Chris

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1064
    edited January 2017
    A preamp is a preamp. I'm not too sure what you mean by 'full on preamp'

peoples opinions on what 'decent' is can vary.

imo, if you are only using a couple of mics at the same time, you are better off getting a couple of professional 500 series preamps and doing the balancing, eq etc in the box. 

people like warm audio do inexpensive 500 series preamps that are essentially clones of API/Neve etc and will smoke anything in a cheap mixer. As a bonus, you won't be paying for additional channels, FX etc that you won't use.

Edit
    having re read your post, it sounds like you are getting deeper into recording. If you get a 6 unit 'lunchbox' you'll be able to add an eq and compressor for your two channels as you learn more, investigate what's out there.

i should warn you, this stuff is really GAs inducing though!

vintage stuff costs a lot, but second hand 500 series stuff gets flipped all the time.

check the 'gearslutz' website or sound on sound for used gear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't bother. Pre mixing into the daw is always going to be w compromise. Upgrade your interface to one with more channels instead.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom