At what stage does a Fender Strat become just a Strat

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WezV said:
    I have put fake fender decals on genuine fender necks quite a few times.... never sure what that makes them.
    What about a fake Fender decal on a Fender licensed neck attached to a real Fender body? Is that a real Fender?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    WezV said:

I have put fake fender decals on genuine fender necks quite a few times.... never sure what that makes them.
    Not sure! The neck and the guitar are still genuine, so probably OK.

AustrianJohn said:

What about a fake Fender decal on a Fender licensed neck attached to a real Fender body? Is that a real Fender?
    No, definitely not. I think something to that effect is mentioned in the small print of the licence agreement, but I can't remember.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    WezV said:
    usedtobe said:
    usedtobe said:
    Goes around, comes around...
    But is the copy genuine?
    Don't ask me, mate, me heads spinning!
    Where do you reckon I should go for a fake squier decal, to put on a genuine squier neck?

Serious question.

Apparently, you can't buy genuine squier decals..!

To clarity: I've got a squier cv tele, that someone has put a fender decal on, and I'd prefer it to say squier on there.. cos it's a squier...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• alanchanxdalanchanxd Frets: 64
    edited January 2017
    This is like the "grandfather's axe paradox" which questions an object's originality/authenticity after replacing its parts. The paradox goes something like this:
    1. My grandfather got an axe and he would replace the axe's head occasionally when it wears out
    2. One day, my grandfather also replaced the haft (i.e. the wooden handle that connects the axe's head) because it was broken
    3. So by now, the axe's head has been replaced and so as the axe's haft. Is the axe still authentic / original?

I believe that the distinguishing factor between a "Fender Strat" and a "strat" lies in the originality of the neck and body because the neck and body are pretty much the essence of a Fender guitar.

Therefore (to me), a modified Strat can still be called a Fender Strat (even if all of its hardware has been completely modified) if its body and neck are both genuine Fender products AND:
    1. The body and neck both correspond to model / era specific Fender models (e.g. A strat is NOT original if you combine a 1987 to late 1990s swimming pool-route American Standard Strat body with a 2013 Fender American Standard Strat neck because these parts do not correspond to the factory specs. A 2013 Fender American Standard guitar has different body specs)
    2. Perhaps, the genuine Fender neck's serial number corresponds to the correct body colour (however I was told by Fender support that they didn't record the body colour and serial numbers on vintage/early FMIC guitars. Nowadays, I don't know if they extensively record the serial numbers and body colours of their products)