Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do e-cigarettes help people give up smoking?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4304
    edited January 2017
    Giving up is entirely psychological endurance. I used to work for British Coal, underground every day at a mine in Leicestershire. At the height of my smoking I was on 10 Tom Thumb cigars or 20-30 gauloises or Park Drive (plain , no filter tip). Iwas also inhaling a pipe (Erinmore flake)

And yet the minute I went down the shaft I never craved a cigarette because I knew I couldn't have one and the risk of doing so was far more certain than the risk of heart disease or cancer. So I knew the craving was psychological.

I gave up in 1981.

And yet I got throat cancer in 2013, doctors think it was likely caused by genetic modifications to cells caused by the smoking, but of course they cannot prove it. It might have been from secondary inhilation from smoky pubs .

Remind yourself daily cancer is not fun, the treatment hurts. Give up smoking. NOW
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelg said:
    Giving up is entirely psychological endurance. I used to work for British Coal, underground every day at a mine in Leicestershire. At the height of my smoking I was on 10 Tom Thumb cigars or 20-30 gauloises or Park Drive (plain , no filter tip). Iwas also inhaling a pipe (Erinmore flake)

And yet the minute I went down the shaft I never craved a cigarette because I knew I couldn't have one and the risk of doing so was far more certain than the risk of heart disease or cancer. So I knew the craving was psychological.

Cravings are psychological and are just a trigger to repeat habitual behaviour, they're not triggered by nicotine depletion.
    The only smokers that abstain from nicotine long enough to experience withdrawal are those quitting and even then the physical withdrawal is conquered over a long weekend.
    Like your own experience, It's well documented that those smokers that can't smoke don't struggle during their smoke-free parts of the day. It's just a complex compulsive habit that is best dealt with in the hypnotherapist's chair...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom