Spirit

JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6090

Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
    Brilliant album and one of my fav bands also love Randy California's follow up Kapt. Kopter and the Fabulous Twirly Birds and who can forget the journey into "Potato Land" 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Great classic album. I have most spirit albums on vinyl, I was a big fan back in my college days. Saw Randy California live back then as well
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Randy California is one of my biggest guitar influences, and it was such a tragedy that he died so young (albeit rather heroically).

The 'Dr Sardonicus' album is the one that I always used to play when I was down, and especially after a break-up; seriously, I would put this album on, get out a guitar and play along with it and it's impossible not to feel better afterwards! 

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6090
     it's impossible not to feel better afterwards! 

Agreed, definitely an uplifting record.

Randy played on Hammill's Red Shift off the Silent Corner lp. I read somewhere that Hammill was a bit disappointed in the result but it sounds pretty good to me...

• I saw spirit live in the late 80s - one of the best gigs I've been to.

I was actually a bit trepidatious about going as those later albums were getting a bit naff and I didn't want to be disappointed. But I thought, "It might be the only chance I ever get to see them". I shouldn't have worried - just a three-piece, Randy, Ed and ... err ... a bass player. :)  Extraordinary gig.

Two things struck me (other than what a great player Randy was) -
    1) the harmonies were absolutely sublime even though they weren't ever perfect and 'in tune'
    2) the tempos sped up and slowed down all over the place but they were always locked together and exceptionally 'groovy' (man)

That gig really taught me something about the difference between theoretical perfection and perfected performance.
  • My mate recorded this in tribute when Randy died

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgUBYA4UbH4