Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I think I'd better stop vaping

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24350
...as I've been feeling a bit weird lately and have just googled 'vaping and cardiac health' and discovered that nicotine alone is harmful to the vascular system and causes atherosclerosis (which is what caused my heart attack !).  I've googled 'vaping and health' before it's all been wonderful stories about how much healthier vaping is etc, the NHS are going to prescribe it etc, but this evening was the first time I've seen a direct warning about nicotine and cardiac health.

Fuck...  that'll be six weeks of actual smoking followed by three months of vaping.  Shitting bollocks.  I thought vaping was safe.
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
I'm personally responsible for all global warming
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    Inhaling anything other than air is "not safe", it's just a matter of how much.

you could try gradually reducing the nicotine if cold turkey isn't an option.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    I'm not sure I can deal with an Emp in nicotine withdrawal.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    My mum works for a GP.

He's been doing some research of his own.
    One interesting theory is that the "hot damp" it introduces into the lungs could cause a breeding ground for infection.

Vaping works to kick cigarettes and is much easier to stop once you have done but vaping long term carries it's own health risks, most of which are unclear yet but some evidence is starting to emerge.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17636
    tFB Trader
    No one has a bloody clue what the long term impact of it is because it hasn't been around long enough.

Any powerful stimulant should be avoided by someone with heart problems.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    Isn't nicotine a deadly poison with  lower ld50 than arsenic or something.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No one has a bloody clue what the long term impact of it is because it hasn't been around long enough.

Any powerful stimulant should be avoided by someone with heart problems.
    @monquixote , as Nietzsche once sad, that which does not kill us, makes us stronger.  @Emp_Fab has the heart of of a lion. Unfortunately it's this fellow:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I wish my missus would pack the vaping in, she has a wicked hacking cough since she packed the fags up for this vap malarkey.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28381

@monquixote , as Nietzsche once sad, that which does not kill us, makes us stronger.
    From which we can surmise that Nietzsche never had polio.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    Read up on 'popcorn lung'.  Yuk.
  • ..And he of course lived a long and happy life with Dementia...
  • I know someone who started vaping who hadn't previously smoked. To be honest, you look like a knobend and the flavours smell atrocious - I don't know why you'd start doing it, but as a tool that can move people away from smoking, perhaps it's worthwhile, and if it is, I hope it continues becoming more popular. COPD ain't no way to be. 

Obviously there are risks, but if found to be relatively safe, I'd say it's better to look like a bellend for a few months while you wean off the ciggies (which still smell worse, and yellow everything around you) than to just keep puffing away. 

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3220
    Alnico said:
    My mum works for a GP.

He's been doing some research of his own.
    One interesting theory is that the "hot damp" it introduces into the lungs could cause a breeding ground for infection.

Vaping works to kick cigarettes and is much easier to stop once you have done but vaping long term carries it's own health risks, most of which are unclear yet but some evidence is starting to emerge.

I agree and can to a certain degree confirm what @Alnico has said.

I was one of the early ones to vaping after almost 18 years of smoking (I'd been on the fags since I was 12, it's ridiculous looking back). Vaping seemed like some magical holy grail to stave off the horrendous nicotine withdrawal and I vaped heavily for almost 2 years. Over that time I lost a ridiculous amount of weight, went down to below a 28 inch waste, xs size clothing, etc, and still looked swamped, it actually got embarrassing; everyone thought I was either anorexic or on the way out with cancer.

The wife found a medical study suggesting the increased moisture in the lungs caused by vaping encourages culture growth, a particular study of this in mice showed fatal levels of weight loss. I stopped vaping soon after. A year and a half on, I've a 34 inch waste and am a normal size for a guy in his mid 30s. Has my lifestyle changed that much? -barely. Feel free to draw your own conclusions but I figure we will before long find out that vaping is as bad or possibly even worse in its own way than smoking (and I'm the guy who misses both -not the traditional reformed smoker that nags others).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Sporky said:

@monquixote , as Nietzsche once sad, that which does not kill us, makes us stronger.
    Or had his arms and legs chopped off. Its a daft quote when you think about it.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17636
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:

Or had his arms and legs chopped off. Its a daft quote when you think about it.
    I think it's one of the most taken out of context quotes of all time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28381
    I figure we will before long find out that vaping is as bad or possibly even worse in its own way than smoking
    I fear you may be correct.

It doesn't smell as bad, and I think it probably helps some people on the road to completely quitting, but I agree with Wez - all you're meant to inhale is air.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    I figure we will before long find out that vaping is as bad or possibly even worse in its own way than smoking
    I fear you may be correct.

It doesn't smell as bad, and I think it probably helps some people on the road to completely quitting, but I agree with Wez - all you're meant to inhale is air.
    Which, considering the pollution in the major conurbations, is not as simple as it sounds. Did you catch any of the recent reporting on the Canadian study of the relationship between exposure to traffic pollution and increased risk of dementia? 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    It's maybe worth mentioning that i developed *CLD in November, almost died when my lungs just stopped working and am still suffering now, although all the scary **Cancer talk has finished now and i've had enough tests and clear results for people to stop panicking (Including me).

I vaped for 3 years in the run up to this.
    CLD is an infection that your body would normally fight off but i had a low immune system after surgery and this literally nearly killed me. On the day it happened i was around 5 minutes from stopping breathing altogether and my blood oxygen level was under 80% when the ambulance got to me.

It's impossible to say for sure if vaping had any direct link to this but i don't believe in coincidences especially not where health is concerned.

It's get's you off cigarettes yes but then so will crack.
    Vaping is just another way, not strictly a better way.

If cigarettes smelled like blueberries, they wouldn't feel as dangerous. If there is a trap with vaping, which is suspect there is, it's almost certainly down to thinking that they smell better than cigarettes so they can't be as harmful.

*Chronic Lyphmoproliferative Disorder

**B-Cell Lymphoma
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • You need to learn to relax, to chill....Maybe there are some  DIY jobs around the house you could be doing to pass the time quietly?

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Reverend said:
    Isn't nicotine a deadly poison with  lower ld50 than arsenic or something.
    It is indeed. I was on the jury for a trial where we had a biohazard expert from Porton Down talking to the court about poisons. He told us nicotine is really nasty stuff, it used to be used to kill greenfly until they realised gardeners were absorbing it through the skin and keeling over at alarmingly regular intervals. Cigarettes don't kill smokers immediately because they only contain minute amounts of nicotine and your body can deal with that reasonably quickly.

The trouble with vaping liquids is currently there's little control over what level of nicotine they contain. Proper legislation and testing in the U.K. doesn't kick in till later this year. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4920
    As I asked in the other thread, but no-one commented:

Is there such a thing as "passive vaping"?

I ask because I have noted, in some circumstances, vast clouds of second-hand "vape" being exhaled in premises where smoking is prohibited, and I wonder what might be in it.

(I speak as an ex-smoker, 30 a day, gave up cold turkey 25 years ago).