Mouse in the house - in the battle of human vs mouse...

What's Hot
ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7488
edited January 2017 in Off Topic
My bedroom, to be accurate. 

Me and lady prettydamned heard some scuttling and I saw the furry brown bugger run behind my pedalboard. 

We grabbed phone, duvet, blanket and cuddly bear and have retreated to the living room, shutting the mouse in. I then set three mouse-friendly live traps while Lady prettydamned watched the door to make sure it didn't escape. 

The sofa and a chair in the corner will have to be makeshift bedding tonight. 

Will we have to clean all of our clothes? It's likely he/she has been keeping toasty in our wardrobe as there is a boiler in there too. 

Will I need to fumigate the room? 

Is burning the house down the only acceptable solution? 

Any comfort greatly appreciated. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Is burning the house down the only acceptable solution? 

Why stop at just the house?  The entire town could be tainted.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Is burning the house down the only acceptable solution? 

Why stop at just the house?  The entire town could be tainted.

*shudder*

• IIRC.... don't mice continuously urinate? Wherever and whenever... they don't seem to have to take a break in order to pee... it just constantly leaks out.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    Proper traps baited with peanut butter.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • IIRC.... don't mice continuously urinate? Wherever and whenever... they don't seem to have to take a break in order to pee... it just constantly leaks out.

They spray to help remember routes to food, bedding, etc. 

Proper traps baited with peanut butter.

These are live traps but they've worked on  dozens of mice in the garage. 

Baited with sun pat. 
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Sun pat? You'll not catch a thing! You need proper Skippy super chunk for the best results.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2890
    Borrow a cat :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • You cant use a cat as bait!
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Are you sure it's mice? They're pretty small, I'm not sure I've ever seen one. We have/had rats in a spare room, I'm using a trap baited with the stuff that came with it, which appears to be a very expensive variant of nutella. We've only caught 2, and at some time apart.

Does anyone know if other rats instantly know not to go to a particular place in a room when one has been killed? I've shifted the trap around a bit but I thought it was a bit weird that there was around a 10-day interval between catching the 2.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • blueskunk said:
    Borrow a cat :)

I have a cat. Bloody useless. 

Are you sure it's mice? They're pretty small, I'm not sure I've ever seen one. We have/had rats in a spare room, I'm using a trap baited with the stuff that came with it, which appears to be a very expensive variant of nutella. We've only caught 2, and at some time apart.

Does anyone know if other rats instantly know not to go to a particular place in a room when one has been killed? I've shifted the trap around a bit but I thought it was a bit weird that there was around a 10-day interval between catching the 2.

Pretty sure - it was brown and quite small. 

Overnight report - mouse has eluded capture but we have discovered a hole by which it can travel between the airing cupboard and my room :open_mouth: so we have put a baited trap in the airing cupboard as well as a couple of other traps in other rooms just in case. 

I got the cat up and she sniffed the air, before laying down and dropping a fart. 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Our dog sometimes goes mental, sniffing around and underneath wardrobes. He's a pretty good guard dog for when we get burgled by something other than a human being.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    We've had mice . They get through very small places so long term you have to try to make sure they can't get in. Although rewatching Spectre this week and that mouse helped James Bond save the world so maybe they are a good thing after all. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    If you are using live traps how far are you talking them?

If it isn't a substantial distance they will just come back again.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7804

did it scuttle, or was there more of a bounce ?

it might have been a wallaby.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you are using live traps how far are you talking them?

If it isn't a substantial distance they will just come back again.

Quite a way - a drive to the fields in the next village, so a couple of miles. There are fields near where I live so lots of garages have issues, and mum stored some bird feed in there. Since removing the feed we've only had one mouse so that's good - they are common here though, being in deepest darkest fenland. 

This is the first in the house we've had for years - about 2011 in fact, when the cat brought one in and deposited it behind the telly. Bastard. 

Our current cat just won't go near them - she's a mean bitch of a cat, but doesn't give a shit about mice or birds at all. 

We have set several more traps in every room upstairs and we hope to catch it tonight - I may even go skulking for it after work, but I don't know how I'd catch it to be honest. Maybe best to let it get trapped. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    You don't have a mouse. You have mice. Trust me - get a pro in as there will be dozens of the buggers under your floorboards and in your loft. Their urine can cause all sorts of problems. They can flatten themselves to a few MM high and get through the smallest holes or under doors. My house is on the edge of the countryside so we have lots of mice - mostly in the shed and sometimes the garage  and once in the house.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    edited January 2017
    been there and caught it, see my thread here:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/92012/updated-b-stard-cat-brought-a-live-mouse-in-captured#latest

The Big Cheese live traps were useless, the Rentokil one arrived after we caught it so didn't get to try it.

Use peanut butter in your traps, they love it.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28485
    Killer bees are the answer.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • been there and caught it, see my thread here:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/92012/updated-b-stard-cat-brought-a-live-mouse-in-captured#latest

The Big Cheese live traps were useless, the Rentokil one arrived after we caught it so didn't get to try it.

Use peanut butter in your traps, they love it.

Awesome. I think we have some rentokill ones on the way. 

If we struggle for not her day, I reckon we'll be calling the experts just in case there is a family somewhere. What do they do that we can't? 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27133
    We had a 6-inch centipede in our bed at one place in Japan. 

Are you sure it wasn't one of those?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires