virgin tivio and recordings - grumpy old git question re recording

nickpnickp Frets: 183
stupid question - just swapped from sky to virgin.  fine.  So my planned recordings/my shows sort of section - where i've got a long list of recordings planned - such as midsummer murders series link how the fuck do I easily tell what I can watch and what isn't recorded or available yet

and does it record it like an old vhs machine to watch whenever, or does it just keep em (like it's implying with sherlock) but at some specified date in the future it'll become unwatchable??

don't watch a lot of telly, but like to watch something good when we do so its sometimes ages before we get around to watching stuff

sorry i'm just a bit old and irritable with "tech" if i can't get to understand it within 10 seconds :(

ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12417
    edited January 2017
    It all gets recorded to the My Shows section, just press the button on the remote. If you've set it to record a program yourself it stays on the hard drive as long as you want, I've still got stuff from two years ago that I haven't got around to watching yet.

But: it's a smart box and it tries to work out what sort of programs you watch and then records those as well and puts them in the Suggestions section. These have a limited time to watch then they auto-delete (couple of weeks? Not entirely sure tbh). Most of the suggestions are rubbish though, it's seriously not that smart. We don't watch soaps but it always seems to record Keeping up with the Kardashians, meanwhile it doesn't auto record any programs that we do actually watch. 
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
  • Yeah, hit the "my shows" or "my recordings" button and it shows you what's on the box ready to watch. 

As for deletion - one off recordings are kept pretty much for ever. With a series link, there are different options, you can tell it to "keep a maximum of 10 episodes", "3 episodes",  "never delete" etc. It's a setting unique to each show and it's in the series link options somewhere.