Fender S1 Switching Users

Are there any?

i have it on my deluxe strat but I'm putting new pups in and it's wired like a snakes wedding. I rarely use it live and I don't thing I used it much on my last deluxe. 

Just wonderd if if there were any folksnon here who find it really useful or indispensable 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I have an '04 Deluxe, so SCNs and a slightly different setup to the latest one.  I find every setting usefully different to the stock wiring that I wouldn't change it.  I especially like the neck series and bridge series setting, but to be honest the S1 in option seems to give a generally 'more' tone that I really like.

What pickups are you replacing?
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5523
    I use mine when I'm in a lo-fi Eels kinda mood.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    There's a few options on how you could wire it - The SD site has a few - maybe have a look online and see if there's an option that appeals before you wield the soldering iron of righteous justice?

I used an S1 on a home build to switch mid boost on and off on a piezo bridge..

They are quite easy to wire up after all.....

Or you could use the S1 to do blow through and use it as a 'raucous' switch?
  • @Richardj  mine has SCNs and I'm not overly impressed tbh - I had a 2010 deluxe with the N3's and I thought th;

the SCN neck is really muddy
  • Or you could use the S1 to do blow through and use it as a 'raucous' switch?
    Now that is a good idea 
    Or you could use the S1 to do blow through and use it as a 'raucous' switch?
    Now that is a good idea 
    Many do say I'm full of it, er, them.. Certainly might work if you are careful with your pup choices - or go to one of our friendly UK winders and tell them you're going to do that and they could make you a set specially for it..
  • I have an Air Norton humbucker to go in the bridge and tbh I really dig the dimarzio true velvets for the neck and middle. 

Or or I'll just give Mojo Marc a call
    I have an Air Norton humbucker to go in the bridge and tbh I really dig the dimarzio true velvets for the neck and middle. 

Or or I'll just give Mojo Marc a call
    Try blow through with what you've got and then if they don't work have a chat to Mr Marc afterwards?
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    @Richardj  mine has SCNs and I'm not overly impressed tbh - I had a 2010 deluxe with the N3's and I thought th;

the SCN neck is really muddy

Curiously I don't find mine so. It did take me a while to really dial them in though.
    I just had a quick look - I was thinking along the lines of the 'passing lane' mod...

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/The_Fender_Passing_Lane_Stratocaster_Mod

HTH
  • Yeah I had that switch on my old deluxe - was more useful than the S1 tbh
  • I've just bought a Baja telecaster. Not sure if the switching is that useful to me but will give it ago
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2774
    I tend to use mine on my Roadhouse strat as a bit of a boost for the odd solo, or just to cut through a bit more here and there.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I much prefer it to a push pull, but I don't wire it with Fender's scheme. I'm not 100% happy with the taper as a volume control so at some point I'll get off my ar*e and butcher a tone knob so I can unsurprisingly use the S1 as a tone control without the OCD in me kicking off at it having a knob marked volume :)
  • My main guitar is an HSS Strat with S1 switching. I sometimes engage it on the neck pickup setting to add the middle pickup up in series to thicken up the sound or to cancel noise. 
    It's not a competition.