"Hybrid" Bikes

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17639
    tFB Trader
    Why don't people on forums like it? Looks pretty cool.
    This seems to be why

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/fixies-foffa-bikes-any-good.45596/page-4
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well £299 for a Nexus-7-equipped bike is going to have some cost savings somewhere. They seem to get good reviews so just check it over when you get it. You pretty much have to do this with any bike as they can all have assembly cock-ups.

Also that was six years ago, so they could be better or worse now. :)

I would say go and sit on some, or you could end up with one that is too long/short for your upper body, or puts you in a position you don't like.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    tFB Trader
    Well £299 for a Nexus-7-equipped bike is going to have some cost savings somewhere. They seem to get good reviews so just check it over when you get it. You pretty much have to do this with any bike as they can all have assembly cock-ups.

Also that was six years ago, so they could be better or worse now. :)

I would say go and sit on some, or you could end up with one that is too long/short for your upper body, or puts you in a position you don't like.
    Yeah it does seem like they started off selling bitsa bikes to Hoxton hipsters which weren't very well made and got a bad reputation as a result. 

The new stuff is made for them in China so it might be better. The reviews seem positive though some of them mention a few problems.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1779
    That foffa bike is good looking. How many miles a day will you be doing, and will it literally be every work day all year?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    tFB Trader
    BigMonka said:
    That foffa bike is good looking. How many miles a day will you be doing, and will it literally be every work day all year?

Not very much it's only just enough that it's worth cycling rather than walking, about 2 miles each way.

I'm quite taken with the idea of something with hub gears (or maybe even a fixed gear) 

Something like this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/chappelli-modern-three-speed-2016/
    tFB Trader
    Hmm this looks like a winner and massively discounted here: http://www.leisureoutlet.com/outdoor-pursuits/bikes/urban-and-commuting/29322-dawes-urban-express-3-mens-urban-hybrid-bike-2016--21

It's a shame no one seems to have the 7 speed version at a similarly good price.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31619

EDIT: They seem to get a lot of hate on the Bike Forums. 
    Bicycle forums are the pits. I (and numerous others) am looking for a way to reduce road shocks through the handlebars of my road bike due to serious tendon damage in my wrists and one shoulder, I've tried the usual tyre/gloves/grips stuff and am researching shock absorbing stems and possibly front suspension.

Every forum I look at just says "man up, you'll get used to it".

After forty-odd years and many thousands of miles that's unlikely tbh, I'm old and I'm battered and would rather see some constructive help than sarky smugness.
  • BigMonka said:

Not very much it's only just enough that it's worth cycling rather than walking, about 2 miles each way.

I'm quite taken with the idea of something with hub gears (or maybe even a fixed gear) 

If it's 2 miles then I would walk. You are looking at 40 mins tops to walk. If you are cycling then maybe 10 mins, plus 10 mins getting it out of the shed and 5 to 10 mins locking it up and taking all the stuff off it that might get nicked, for example lights, speedo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    BigMonka said:

If it's 2 miles then I would walk. You are looking at 40 mins tops to walk. If you are cycling then maybe 10 mins, plus 10 mins getting it out of the shed and 5 to 10 mins locking it up and taking all the stuff off it that might get nicked, for example lights, speedo. 
    Yes it's definitely at the point where the advantage is debatable, but I think I should only be 5 minutes locking it up and I should just be able to roll it out on the way.
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Hmm this looks like a winner and massively discounted here: http://www.leisureoutlet.com/outdoor-pursuits/bikes/urban-and-commuting/29322-dawes-urban-express-3-mens-urban-hybrid-bike-2016--21

It's a shame no one seems to have the 7 speed version at a similarly good price.
    Nice bike. I'm on my spare atm, which is an old Claud Butler Torridon 'city' style of bike (had a bit of a spill on the main bike before Xmas, & the 'sit up and beg' style is easier on wrists etc whilst I recover). It has - I think - nexus 4 hub gears. As it happens, 'steady' is exactly what I'm after atm, but it's not a quick ride at all. And (as per someone else's point) I very much miss the main bike's front suspension on our dreadful roads!
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I had a Genesis Day One Disc as a commuter. The only problem was that my commute was a 58-mile round trip and I would get nervous of the freewheel failing in the middle of nowhere. You can usually tell when it stops catching 100% of the time though. Mine finally went at the top of a big hill, thankfully only 2 miles from work. I think the freehub version is probably a bit more robust.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2587
    I've got a Charge Plug 1 for commuting - my journey is a similar length to yours and had previously been riding an old Bianchi I'd converted to single speed. I quite like the Plug however the canti brakes are a pain and the wheels weigh a ton. The Genesis Day One is probably a better bike all round.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • I had my first commute on my Genesis Borough today and it all went swimmingly. Rode in normal clothes in rain and wind. Got damp thighs (due to not putting on the waterproof overtrousers that I had with me), but other than that all was well. Mudguards!!!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2440
    Not being funny, but the Ikea "Sladda" bike looks not a bad shout if you've an Ikea Family card. It's £349, has a 2 speed automatic hub gear (a SRAM unit), and a belt drive rather than a chain so wear your normal clothes with no worries about getting oil on you. It has a decent cable disc front brake, full mudguards, mounts for pannier racks, and looks pretty innocuous. It's heavy though at 15kg.

I'm torn between using a "beater" due to theft risk, or using a decent bike that I can wear normal clothes for.

It's worth noting that the Alfine system is a real PITA to set up properly and is extremely sensitive to cable stretch (although if you go for a Di2 system it removes that issue obviously).
    If I was going for hub gearing it would either be something very simple like a 2 or 3 speed unit, or a Rohloff which would be very pricey. Either way I'd be looking at belt drive.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11460
    You are a bit pessimistic on some of the timings.  I looked at my watch leaving my office today, and looked at it again when I was ready to set off.  It took me 2 minutes to get down the stairs, out of the front door, unlock my bike, put three lights on it, and put a pair of gloves on.  Admittedly work it is quite secure so I only use one lock, but stuff you are allowing 10 minutes for is 3 minutes tops.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I had a giant xtc city with a nexus hub. I would still have that bike now if it had 700c wheels. It was a fantastic bike perfect for commuting.
    I wouldn't recommend a bike with disc brakes on. Unless they are set up correctly. I used to curse mine when they weren't set up correctly. I prefer the straightforward nature of v brakes.

I would recommend a trek, giant or a Cannondale. The btwins do seem to get great reviews though . 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    tFB Trader
    Bought the Dawes.

Ticks all the boxes for features and was a great price.
  • If you've got £50 to spare put a set of reelights on it. They're magnetically powered lights. Fit em and forget- no one will steal them as they're part of the bike & you'll always have lights when the wheels are turning. 
    Theyve saved me several times when I've ended up being delayed and cycling home in the dark. They don't add much/any drag and don't need batteries. I love em. 
  • crunchman said:
    You are a bit pessimistic on some of the timings.  I looked at my watch leaving my office today, and looked at it again when I was ready to set off.  It took me 2 minutes to get down the stairs, out of the front door, unlock my bike, put three lights on it, and put a pair of gloves on.  Admittedly work it is quite secure so I only use one lock, but stuff you are allowing 10 minutes for is 3 minutes tops.
    You are probably right, I haven't timed myself but I was just trying to highlight the point that it is not always as simple to just jump on the bike and be out the door. Also, I was factoring in the need to waterproof gear on if it is absolutely chucking it down.
    tFB Trader
    Bought the Dawes.

Ticks all the boxes for features and was a great price.
    And I've just got an email saying they can't sell it to me 

BASTARDS!

Who can recommend me a not stupidly expensive bike with hub gears?