Digital pedal power supplies. (powering multiple strymons etc)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    edited January 2014
    I wish I could find a power supply with 9v dc 12dc and 12v ac. Yes the t-rec chameleons come close but I need 500mA minimum from the AC outlet. I so want to have the V-Twin on my board, but I Don't want. Massive transformer taking up valuable board space.
    Not cheap (€375 from Thomann) but this should do the job:

http://cioks.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=58&Itemid=73

I've not seen the Hot Stone Deluxe that @handsomerik has gone for before.  Looks good.  Only drawback is lack of 18V if I want to run my OCD at 18V.  I've still got a Diago voltage doubler somewhere though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    In my experience you don't really need loads of isolated outputs. 

As long as you keep all your digital and analog pedals on different supplies it's usually fine.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    Cioks do a lot of different variations o power supply and can come in cheaper than the PP2 for example depending upon your specific needs.

Hotrox sell them in the uk.

http://www.cioks.com
  • mrn1989mrn1989 Frets: 240
    The Visual Sound One Spot is great and powers up to 1700ma
    Fretboard Feedback https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58705/  ALSO Over 500+ 100% feedback eBay transactions 
  • I was using a one spot just fine until the strymon pedals. They need their own isolated supply. I even used the one spot with the mobius for a while (there was some noise but it was tolerable) but with the timeline as well you definitely need isolated supplies. 

One spot is great though. I was powering a load of drives, a zoom G3, and a line 6 M5 with no noise using one.
    In my experience you don't really need loads of isolated outputs. 

As long as you keep all your digital and analog pedals on different supplies it's usually fine.
    I had problems with other stuff on a non-isolated supply before I bought my Supa-Charger.  I had a Planet Waves Tuner that was noisy unless it was isolated, and I'm sure there was something else that gave me a problem as well but I can't rememebr what it was.  Isolated supply also means you can run Fuzz-face type pedals as well.

I think BBE need to make an updated Supa-charger capable of higher current outputs to cope with higer output pedals, likewise VL need to update the PP2+.  If not they will start to lose business to things like the Hot Stone Deluxe.
  • Voodoo labs also do the digital and the 4x4 which is a digital and a pp2+ in the same box I believe. More expensive than the hot stone though.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7507
    It was when I went the Strymon route too that I manned-up and laid out the cash on a proper power solution. I did have a PP2+ for a while (you can power and isolate 2 Strymons using the Line6 outputs in 9v mode) but it was huge and the transformer caused a shitload of noise in my Wah. Going the modular Gigrig route was more expensive but perfect, and I can fit 2 Strymons worth of power (with isolators and current to spare) under a Pedaltrain NANO ffs :-)
    Red ones are better. 
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    @handsomerik how's the hot stone deluxe? Been getting some noise from my line6 m5 in a daisy chain. Been thinking about spending the money on a decent power supply instead of faffing around with a 2nd power supply or isolators etc..

Anyone had any experience with the voodoo lab 4x4?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    shuikit said:
    @handsomerik how's the hot stone deluxe? Been getting some noise from my line6 m5 in a daisy chain. Been thinking about spending the money on a decent power supply instead of faffing around with a 2nd power supply or isolators etc..

Anyone had any experience with the voodoo lab 4x4?
    I have a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Digital which powers my M5 just fine [see below]. Great bit of kit.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • I've found the hot stone deluxe to be excellent. No noise whatsoever compared to tons from my one spot. I should mention that until I got the strymon pedals the one spot did amazingly well even powering a line 6 m5 and a zoom G3 at once with no noise.
  • I use to power everything below using:
    - 1x Diago powerstation
    - 2x Timelord adaptors from GigRig

It was the best cost / benefit I could find... no noise at all.

edited February 2014
    I have a one spot and a jonnyshredfreak (the one that was supposedly the same as a diago) power supply and both have a bit of noise.

A diago (£60) and two timelords (2x£60) would cost the same has a voodoo lab 4x4, so wouldn't I be better off with the voodoo lab?

Atm I'm favouring getting the voodoo lab as it has 4x 400ma outputs over the two in the hot stone which would future proof me a bit better, I think..

• I needed lots of Power for my board - all three 'Big" Strymons (all need 300 mAh) - an H9 - (500 mAh) - the whammy 5 needs nearly 300 mAh....the Line 6 G50 needs 300 mAh...plus I like to run some of my other pedals at 18v.

I got a Pedal Power Mondo - it has 4 dedicated high current outputs - plus 8 "standard" outputs - 2 of which are 250 mAh - so can be combined for a 500 mAh pedal...

I have read that the big Strymons are ok with 250mA if you are not using midi to control them.  That's still above the 200mA I can get out of one of the "high current" outputs on my Supa-Charger though. 

I'm still trying to work out the best way around this.  I'm thinking of replacing my Diago board with a Pedaltrain or Emma AmARhyll where there I hope there would be room to put a 4 way extension underneath, and run my Timeline off the supply that came with it.

• @crunchman. I found that running a timeline like this with a 4 way extension plug and using the one spot along side the original timeline adapter in the same 4 way still gave me some noise. Perhaps because the 4 way adapter plug doesn't have all 4 plugs isolated?!

Hot stone deluxe is really good. Tons of power and I'm guessing you could still daisy chain lower draw drive pedals from an output on that if you need to power more than 8 pedals. I'll be trying it later and report back.
    Gave in and ordered the voodoo lab. Hopefully it will be the last time I have to think about buying a power supply for a very very long time!
    @crunchman. I found that running a timeline like this with a 4 way extension plug and using the one spot along side the original timeline adapter in the same 4 way still gave me some noise. Perhaps because the 4 way adapter plug doesn't have all 4 plugs isolated?!

Hot stone deluxe is really good. Tons of power and I'm guessing you could still daisy chain lower draw drive pedals from an output on that if you need to power more than 8 pedals. I'll be trying it later and report back.
    The Supa-Charger is isolated.  I've not had any problems so far with noise when running the Timeline off it's own supply.  It's just a pain because things get very messy with multiple supplies on top of the board.  If I can get it under the board then it would be out the way and a lot neater.

I do like the look of the Hot Stone Deluxe though.  It's definitely on my want list.