Dream composer

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15976
edited January 2017 in Off Topic

anyone get this stuff too?

Sometimes, not often, I am half awake, half dream word, when I can hear and fashion some great music.

I am aware of what is going on and could respond to someone talking to me if I so wished

I am in control of the music and can take it in any direction and focus on a particular instrument of my choice

The music is original and spontaneous...sometimes  huge orchestrations and others a simple combo set up 

Unfortunately I can't will these episodes, they just happen from time to time 

It got me thinking of something my fav guitar player said, that he waits for the music to come to him "in a complete form" and he simply writes it up.

I wish I knew how to tap into this head stuff, and somewhat more importantly, get it down...I am expecting some ribbing here but it is very real to me...and no, I don't do drugs :) 

I read a great book many years ago called "the door marked summer" that book was a great insight as to what was possible with the sub conscious mind

Anyone had a similar experience?

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Lots of times. Song lyrics, chord progressions or melodies, storyline ideas, etc.

BUT - for reasons I can't explain I have failed to get a single such idea written down in any form.

So I have to conclude that in my case these ideas were in fact just illusions.  Just the false memory of an idea or a dream of something that never happened.

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    Yes, happens to me too, and I too question whether what I am consciously aware of is quite what I think it is. 
  • I'm not bad at writing horror stories. It's more like "dream writing" where  I zone out until I'm done writing.

Whether or not the stories are any good is debatable lol

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    I've never had such a dream. But I think my best ideas come to me when I'm brushing my teeth, or walking down the street, etc. I mean, if I say to myself "I'll pick up my guitar and write my best song ever" well... it won't happen indeed.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Yep, same here.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24815
    This sounds like quite a gift.

McCartney apparently dreamt Yesterday....
  • Not in anything like that completeness, detail or vividness, but quite a few times I've woken in the middle of the night with a fragment of music and sometimes a line or two of lyrics repeating in my head and often try to force myself to get up and get it recorded or memorised on an instrument before I go back to sleep.  Sometimes I can't motivate myself to do it (often persuading myself that I'll remember it, which usually but not always turns out to be wrong, but of course part of me just wants to get back to bloody sleep).

Ideas that come to me in that way are usually much better than stuff I can come up with when fully awake.  They are never complete songs but can usually be built into complete songs.  But it's that little kernel of something that welled up when I was sleeping that makes the song possible, even if it's only a small part of the eventual song.

There's an old friend I sort of collaborate with on original material (he's a much better singer and front man than I am) who also does some songwriting and the same sort of thing happens to him, so I imagine it's not that uncommon.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”