Is there a decent attenuator that works with more than one impedance

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
the thd hotplate seems to be the attenuator of choice , but you'd need to match the impedance to your amp and speakers .
for someone like me that does a lot of gigs where you just bring an amp head , that would mean I'd either have to buy 2 or hope they have a 16 ohm cab at the venue 

is there a decent attenuator that works with more than 1 impedance ???
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BodBod Frets: 1312
    I believe the Jettenuator does that...
  • Fryette power station. Spendy though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This would be for a 1959slp.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I am thinking of getting the Rivera Rock Crusher it does 8 or 16 ohm and gets very good reviews, check one out I think it'll do the job nicely.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Tow notes Torpedo, 4, 8 and 16 ohm speaker options
  • cosmiccarrotcosmiccarrot Frets: 91
    edited January 2017
    Marshall power brake, 4 (not 4 oops), 8 and 16ohm, great with marshall style amps. Some attenuators work better with different amps so it's worth bearing that in mind.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    zepp76 said:
    I am thinking of getting the Rivera Rock Crusher it does 8 or 16 ohm and gets very good reviews, check one out I think it'll do the job nicely.
    I've had the standard Rock Crusher for a couple of years now, works with everything, and as it's a reactive load it's better than a resistive one.  Big unit though.  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    It's not as much of an issue as you think - you need to match the attenuator to the amp, not the cab - the amp sees the attenuator as the load, not the cab, as long as the attenuator isn't bypassed or set to (usually) the first click down. Anything more than that and the attenuator is taking at least 3/4 of the power of the amp, and the cab impedance quickly becomes irrelevant.

So a 16-ohm amp into a 16-ohm attenuator into any speaker cab is OK, as long as the attenuator is set to at least -6dB - which it almost certainly will be with a SLP!

The Hotplate is not the attenuator of choice for a SLP - it's not great for Marshall-type and Vox-type amps in general, although it's very good for Fender and Mesa. It will stress the valves quite heavily with a SLP if you're cranking it.

The Marshall Powerbrake only has 16 and 8 ohms, not 4, but it's a much better choice for this amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24294
    My Weber has switchable impedance 

Not tried it with a Marshall though.
  • ICBM said:
    It's not as much of an issue as you think - you need to match the attenuator to the amp, not the cab - the amp sees the attenuator as the load, not the cab, as long as the attenuator isn't bypassed or set to (usually) the first click down. Anything more than that and the attenuator is taking at least 3/4 of the power of the amp, and the cab impedance quickly becomes irrelevant.

So a 16-ohm amp into a 16-ohm attenuator into any speaker cab is OK, as long as the attenuator is set to at least -6dB - which it almost certainly will be with a SLP!

The Hotplate is not the attenuator of choice for a SLP - it's not great for Marshall-type and Vox-type amps in general, although it's very good for Fender and Mesa. It will stress the valves quite heavily with a SLP if you're cranking it.

The Marshall Powerbrake only has 16 and 8 ohms, not 4, but it's a much better choice for this amp.

Thanks for the advice, I had a powerbrake with a 1987x a few years ago and it worked well, its good to know whats the right kit.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    It's a real shame Marshall discontinued it, although they're not too rare second hand. It was quite a unique design and worked particularly well with amps that prefer a steeper impedance curve than a flatter one… like Marshalls.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein