Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

In the days b4 downloads

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• I think the difference in the charts up until the maybe mid 90's was the sheer diversity of music. Look at 67 chart there is something for mods, blues rock, pop fans and of course mum dad and gran! 
    Thats why they were call pop charts it was music that was popular. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just looked up charts today, and I hardly know any of them, and surprised how many feature more than once. Ed Sheeran is no 1and 2 though
  • There's great stuff In the charts today a well. As well as all the old stuff. Win win. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17640
    tFB Trader
    The difference is that the world has moved on and the charts don't matter like they used to.

Radio 1 don't even have a chart show anymore.
  • The difference is that the world has moved on and the charts don't matter like they used to.

Radio 1 don't even have a chart show anymore.
    They do and they don't. It moved from Sundays in 2015 when the official dates for new releases moved to Friday from Sunday and the current format is that it's a smaller segment of an existing show, but they still compile the chart and broadcast it (although only the top 25 songs played in full now) weekly. I agree, the chart is far less diverse and arguably far less influential than it used to be.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• I heard an article on the radio the other day with the Editor of Hot Press (A Loooooong established Irish music magazine) who made the point that at a certain stage last year in Ireland, if you had sold 190 (Yes, 3 figures) copies of your album, it would've put you at number 10 in the Irish charts.
    If it wasnt so dismally depressing it'd be funny. 
    Sad times indeed.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's pretty simple really, if you give people the choice between £9.99 per album or £9.99 per month to stream all albums you could want then people will stream.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    /\ you not factored in the poor sonic quality of highly compressed digitized file formats...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Most people don't care beyond 320kbps/already listened to MP3 anyway. 

Bluray is better quality than Netflix streaming to my knowledge, but price and convenience wins again there for many.

• Bluray is better quality than Netflix streaming to my knowledge, but price and convenience wins again there for many.
    It's better than the basic Netflix package, but you can pay extra and get HD from Netflix.

I think it costs an extra pound a month.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Bluray is better quality than Netflix streaming to my knowledge, but price and convenience wins again there for many.
    It's better than the basic Netflix package, but you can pay extra and get HD from Netflix.

Fair enough.

The main issue is going to be streaming speed/space if you watch offline then in that case, as that'd surely be several gigabytes for a film.  That's IMO a lot of the reason people use MP3 type formats as they can fit a huge amount of music on a typical portable device.  The original files likely exist in higher than CD quality but few want to do 1 album per gigabyte (60 minutes of 48khz/24bit is just over a gigabyte IIRC).
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28431
    scrumhalf said:
    Aaah, the "listen-by date" argument, you have to drop all music over x years old in order to listen to stuff that's on current release.

It's a shit argument.
    But not one that anyone has made.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22971

Bluray is better quality than Netflix streaming to my knowledge, but price and convenience wins again there for many.

Is it 1080p or 720p?  Thing is, they're releasing films on 4K Ultra HD (2160p) now - on disc- but I don't know if anyone streams films in 4K, yet streaming seems to be the way of the future.

It seems to be a theme of current technology - we're able to produce things in ever-higher resolutions but people actually consume them in low resolution, or watch them on tiny little phones and tablets.

I'm still a Blu-ray man, but after replacing hundreds of films on DVD with Blu-ray I don't play to buy them all again in 4K.  At present I don't have access to any streaming services.

• 57Deluxe said:
    /\ you not factored in the poor sonic quality of highly compressed digitized file formats...
    Not sure anyone can tell the difference sat 128 let alone 320. And how many people listen in a perfect environment anyway. I love Spotify best money I have ever spent, still buy albums occasionally as well.