Rolling Stones - Totally Stripped

Anyone else watched this 4 DVD + CD package yet? You like? Not like?

(For anyone who doesn't know, it's a recently-released set originally filmed in 1995, originally released back then as a single CD compilation of live and in-the-studio tracks revisited (or done for the first time in the case of Like A Rolling Stone) in a vaguely acoustic way.  The new package contains DVD's of three entire theatre-sized concerts)

Personally, I am pleasantly surprised by (a) how good the band sound as an ensemble - Where they sound loose here it is more "loose" than "downright sloppy", unlike some of their other live outings and (b) how fucking good the guitar tones are on this release. Mick seems worried in the interview that the small stage area will be hemming him in and restricting him, but the band definitely benefit from playing together on stage instead of across vast oceans of ego ramps etc.
Some repetition of tracks, with some notable changes to arrangements of a couple of tracks across the discs (Beast of Burden is on acoustic guitars for one show, it is back to electric by the next, Connection doesn't feature Mick at all on the second disc, after him joining in but looking like a spare part on the first disc).

This Youtube clip isn't great quality, but I did enjoy this part of the documentary disc, Mick, Keith, Chuck and Bernard warming up their voices with a piano run through of Tumbling Dice. Mick is clearly singing within himself to save his voice for the show, but Keith, Chuck and Bernard seem to be having a whale of a time, it's quite sweet, I think.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I really enjoyed the original CD, I'd certainly like to see the rest of the associated stuff. It's actually the album that helped me "get" the Stones.
    Chuck is awesome as always (he steals the show on Clapton Unplugged too).
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited January 2017
    I need to check this out, the original single CD was great. 
    edited January 2017
    Should be dropping onto my doormat tomorrow. 

I saw the Stones on the Voodoo Lounge tour just before the Stripped gigs, got up to Sheffield early and in right on the barrier...my wife still has the plectrum that Keith passed to her (not a random chuck it at the crowd, he reached down to pass it to her). 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6896

I saw the Stones on the Voodoo Lounge tour just before the Stripped gigs, got up to Sheffield early and in right on the barrier...my wife still has the plectrum that Keith passed to her (not a random chuck it at the crowd, he reached down to pass it to her). 
    I was at that gig as well. Do I remember correctly that Van Halen were the support?

i have the totally stripped set, only listened to the CD so far, but I like it.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:

I was at that gig as well. Do I remember correctly that Van Halen were the support?

Nah, it was Del Amitri at Sheffield on that tour ('95). Disappointed as The Black Crowes had played some of the other dates with them. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6896
    mrkb said:

Nah, it was Del Amitri at Sheffield on that tour ('95). Disappointed as The Black Crowes had played some of the other dates with them. 
    Ah your right, Van Halen supported Bon Jovi there in the same year, and I missed them, as we got there late due to tram issues - I had to endure my wife's favourite band instead!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    I got this for Xmas on Cd/blu-ray along with the box set of the new album , still haven't got around to opening either yet! 
    Loved the original Stripped album so very much looking forward to this!