Fryette Power Station impedance matching

What's Hot
SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
This question really needs to go to Fryette, but I've never had an email response from them in my life and right now, they don't seem to be keen on picking up the phone either, so I'm hoping someone with a broad technical knowledge might be able to give me a pointer..?

The Power station has an impedance matching function, so you can set the input to match the amp and the output to a different impedance to match a differently rated cab

As I understand it, this is done via a transformer

I'd like to use this matching with the Power Station in bypass - so the question is to whether I can use the Power Station to avoid an amp / cab mismatch in standby?

This is only to run a 16 ohm speaker to an 8 ohm cab, so it's no doubt OK, but I'd like to use the PS if I can?

cheers

Baz
The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    I think @ICBM just answered this on another thread - as long as the amp is matched to the Power Station, I'm good :-)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    Not if it's bypassed, necessarily. It depends on how the bypass is achieved.

If it physically bypasses the circuitry and connects the output directly to the input - which is what the manual says - then you will have a mismatch. In practice this may not matter anyway since most valve amps will tolerate a 2:1 mismatch in either direction, but some don't like it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks as ever @icbm - I read the wording in the manual the same way.

If I get a definitive view from Fryette, I'll post it back for prosperity 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    It's probably also worth mentioning that impedance matching only really becomes important if the amp is being overdriven, or at the very least pushed close to it - at lower volume it doesn't really matter. Presumably you're less likely to be doing that with the attenuator bypassed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Their customer service is appalling, isn't it. Responsiveness, anyway.

You may get a faster response by posting on one of the Fryette threads on TGP, where they spend some time trying to keep the fanboys happy (as long as they don't ask awkward questions).

i think I'll pick one of these up this year, despite that though.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    They run a lean business and they'll be rammed with prep for NAMM, happens every year. So bad timing mate :)

To be fair they've been responsive in the past to me before. Just not in January...
    edited January 2017
    Hi @clarkefan - no doubt NAMM is an issue now, but they've been utterly useless at replying for the past 18 months

..reckon I've emailed or rang them 15 times over that period and I'm none the wiser!

..ironically, I've never had any problem getting a response from Lean Business

@moe_zambeek - TGP is a good shout - ta