Mic for guitar amp recommendations

What's Hot
Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 982
edited January 2017 in Amps
There is some money in the bands kitty for a mic and stand for my guitar amp.......

Any recommendations/anyone selling? 

Is the trusty sm57 the way to go? I want to put as minimal a dent in the bands kitty as I can (I wouldn't feel the need for such restraint if it were my own money)

Also on an entirely unrelated note I got a 2011 Gibson LP Special in TV yellow today - first guitar I've owned with P90's. Bloody lovely. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1379
    I like the e609 best for most stuff. No stand necessary!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Audix I5

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636

If you do need a stand you can get a very compact short jobbie from Thomann (and probably elsewhere) that has a heavy base instead of a tripod. Far less of an intrusion on stage or indeed for recording.

Dave.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31604
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:

I've got one of these and, after I got the hang of recording, got some really great results. Plus no mic stand needed - just hang it over the front. It's directional so it seems to reduce the amount of noise that gets through. 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    E609 for me, although I use the Palmer Junction now, no worries about placement then! 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    The Audio Technica AE3000 is my favourite - prefer it to the equivalents from Shure and Senn. You'll need a short dumpy stand for it. A 57 will do everything you ask of it though although they do take up quite a bit of room which can be an issue on cramped stages and small pubs.

Consider also a DI box like the Palmer PDI09 or Radial JDX.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    edited January 2017

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Short-Desktop-Microphone-Stand-Straight/dp/B000LAKS8I

Sadly the non-tripod version I have seems out of stock at Amazon but Thomann have them albeit more money.

You can get  a round, heavy based stand but they are not quite so stable.

Oh yes! (fergot, no Joe yet!) Checkout Orchid Electronics for DI, Re-amp boxes and the like. Every bit as good technically as Radial, lot cheaper!

Dave.

• i've heard praise/recommendation and general good tidings about the Propide TT1 - cheap as chips on ebay and can be used for mic'ing a guitar. 

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/prodipe-tt1 ;
  • Thanks for your replied and suggestions - helpful as always. I'll have a look at some reviews.....

@simonk ;@ecc83 - confession time - what's a DI box? That's direct input to the mixer right? How does it take the signal from the amp?
    Thanks for your replied and suggestions - helpful as always. I'll have a look at some reviews.....

@simonk ;@ecc83 - confession time - what's a DI box? That's direct input to the mixer right? How does it take the signal from the amp?
    Sits between the amp and the speaker negating the need for a microphone and eliminates other instruments bleeding into your guitar mic. Both the Palmer and Radial offer a balanced out that feeds straight to the desk. There's also a cheap Joyo knockoff which appears to be the bastard child of the Palmer and Radial boxes, which is also pretty good.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    simonk said:
    Thanks for your replied and suggestions - helpful as always. I'll have a look at some reviews.....

@simonk @ecc83 - confession time - what's a DI box? That's direct input to the mixer right? How does it take the signal from the amp?
    Sits between the amp and the speaker negating the need for a microphone and eliminates other instruments bleeding into your guitar mic. Both the Palmer and Radial offer a balanced out that feeds straight to the desk. There's also a cheap Joyo knockoff which appears to be the bastard child of the Palmer and Radial boxes, which is also pretty good.

As as I understand it once you've fixed it in place ( maybe just some Velcro) and plugged it in you can just leave it there for ever wether you use it or not, all you need to do on a gig is run an XLR lead to the PA. You are, however, hearing your amp via a speaker emulation rather than a mic'd speaker. Which may or may not be a good thing. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    p90fool said:
    Yep, this is what I use. Great mic and amazing value for money.
    simonk said:

@simonk @ecc83 - confession time - what's a DI box? That's direct input to the mixer right? How does it take the signal from the amp?

As as I understand it once you've fixed it in place ( maybe just some Velcro) and plugged it in you can just leave it there for ever wether you use it or not, all you need to do on a gig is run an XLR lead to the PA. You are, however, hearing your amp via a speaker emulation rather than a mic'd speaker. Which may or may not be a good thing. 
    Yeah, pretty much. The Radial lives in the back of my MJW Bantam whether I send it to the PA or not. As to what it sounds like - pretty good to my ears. As good as a decent microphone? Hmm, that's subjective, but possibly not. I doubt anyone in the crowd would notice or care though, and the benefits in a cosy pub of not picking up the directly adjacent drum kit all over again are definitely there.
  • @SIMONK + @ERICTHEWEARY - thank both - I can certainly see the advantage of a box like that. I'd need to check my amp has the right connectivity.....