Is the a modern boss od1 equivalent ?!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72350
    Anyone tried the OD-1X yet?

Yes, I know it's completely different from the original… and almost the same price as the Waza SD-1.

Just curious!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Anyone tried the OD-1X yet?

Yes, I know it's completely different from the original… and almost the same price as the Waza SD-1.

Just curious!

Yup! It's ace. Completely in its own category. 

Pro tip - like most other overdrive pedals, don't limit yourself to using it the way most people use overdrive pedals. It sounds really nice with the gain up a bit with a strat. 

I still preferred the da-2 which was more open and a bit less middy - but very, very tight. The od1x was more natural where the da-2 is like modern rock in a box. 
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Pro tip - like most other overdrive pedals, don't limit yourself to using it the way most people use overdrive pedals. It sounds really nice with the gain up a bit with a strat.
    How do most people use them - with the gain down and the level up?

If so that's fine… I never, ever, use an overdrive pedal like that :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    ICBM said:
    mattdavis said:
    I'm always surprised the OD3 doesn't get more love.
    I've always found it entirely bland and characterless. Not positively bad, just boring and uninspiring… I prefer the SD-1's fuzzy harmonic-y midrange, it seems to have more life to it.
    Fair enough -chacun a son gout, Rodney, chacun a son gout.  
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    ICBM said:

Is it worth getting a  waza craft one if it addresses this, or just stick with the standard sd1??
    I haven't tried the Waza - to be honest I have no interest, I find the hype/price/silly graphic offputting. The beauty of the SD-1 is that it's brilliant, standard and cheap.
    yeah. if they'd just fix the buffer (or just get the even cheaper daphon clone, i guess).

for a clone of the OD1, there's this by valeton: https://www.thomann.de/gb/valeton_od_10_analog_overdrive.htm

I should clarify- I haven't tried that (or indeed any valeton pedals), nor the original, so that's not a recommendation- just pointing out that a fairly cheap option exists if you want the OD1 and not the SD1.

Ah beaten to it by @MPH Should've read further down before posting.

Dave_Mc said:

if they'd just fix the buffer (or just get the even cheaper daphon clone, i guess).
    If you're doing it properly you'll be running it after another Boss pedal - tuner, or possibly the old PSM-5 'master switch', or something else like a compressor - then it isn't an issue.

:)

Seriously - I agree, it's a design flaw that they should have fixed decades ago, like the GE-7 noise… it baffles me that they haven't.

Apparently it's done on the Waza, but I'm not paying £100 extra for one to find out.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    Yeah ditto. Especially when the daphon clone I paid ~£13 for new IIRC doesn't seem to have the problem :D And which sounds virtually identical apart from having slightly less level boost on tap (and that might just be component tolerances coming into play).

(And plus if the marketing spiel is to be believed the circuit on the Waza might be different, too- they say it has a discrete design I think, so no op-amp?)

I mean I have it after another buffered pedal to fix it, but i shouldn't have to- i don't have a buffered tuner, for example, so I kind of have to use another pedal in front of it solely to fix the issue, and if space (or outlets on my power supply) were an issue, that would be very annoying.

(Granted i also need the buffer up-front for a couple of half-assed bypass MXR modulation pedals, but still. :D)