Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Last great guitar hero

What's Hot

Comments

• I don't like Muse, and I don't like Matt Bellamy's guitar style....but I'd have to agree he is the latest bona fide guitar hero.

I don't often frequent guitar shops, but the last few times I have done, it was Bellamy's lines the kids were strangling out of the guitars where in "my day" it would have been Sweet Child O' Mine.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    I don't like Muse, and I don't like Matt Bellamy's guitar style....but I'd have to agree he is the latest bona fide guitar hero.

Id agree quite strongly with that.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    And Origin of Symmetry basically taught me to play guitar.

I could probably say that about The Bends.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Yes, Matt Bellamy.

I'm not a fan, but I take the point.

At least he can write a song you can whistle (yes Govan, I'm looking at you. Yawn).
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Been looking at some of the more modern players like Matt Bellamy and Guthrie Govan, and what I think is Bellamy is probably the latest real over the top guitar hero. His stage presence is great, and his use of the guitar out of standard guitar type playing is pretty wild, not my cup of tea, but yeah I can see why he would be a guitar hero.
    Guthrie Govan on the other hand is incredibly talented and fluent but bored the pants off of me, no offence to the guy as he seems like a nice bloke who loves to play. 
    Slash is similar, good player but the band is playing good songs and he puts a nice solo in them. 
    Brian May is another guy who does get a very good sound in the context of his band, but out of his band, he seems awful to me, as he doesn't adjust his playing to music.
    So for me after all of this, it's made me listen to some other music and think about players I wouldn't.
    And if we are talking guitarist's guitarist, let's mention Albert Lee, my personal ultimate hero. 

Thanks for all the replies, been quite interesting debate.

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Maybe there's no right or wrong answer.  If it's not Slash, it's Matt Bellamy.  If it's not Matt Bellamy, it's Eric Clapton.  If it's not Eric Clapton, it's, Dimebag Darrell.  If it's not Dimebag Darrell, it's George Benson.  The list could go on....

(...but it's Slash)
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962

And if we are talking guitarist's guitarist, let's mention Albert Lee, my personal ultimate hero. 

Herefordshire's finest. Great choice. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    edited January 2014
    Reminded by the god-awful guitarists thread... ;)

It's Neil Young.

True, he looks older than Methuselah, and he hasn't really changed his sound - let alone his equipment - in at least 30 years... but he's still playing and is a truly heroic guitarist.

He's the only guitarist I've ever heard who can play what for anyone else would be an absolutely howling bum note and make the rest of the world tune in with it by sheer musical authority.

And I'm sure there are still people who think he's awful too :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I'm not a big Muse fan, but they have a few cracking tracks. I saw them at Glastonbury in 2010, having been told by assorted Muse-loving friends that "Man, they put on the best live show that you'll ever see!!".

Their mediocre live show was entirely eclipsed by that of The Flaming Lips the previous night, and our experience of seeing Muse was tainted by being amongst a group of 18-year-old Muse uber-fans who apparently climaxed with surprise and delight every time Muse played the intro to one of their songs that they are well known for playing.

Bloody fans, having a pure shared experience of joy at music festivals, ruining it for everyone.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303

Been thinking about a real bonefide Guitar hero in Eric Clapton, how many guitar hero`s can say they were in two major big name bands ?

Eric has been in , Yardbirds, Mayalls Bluesbreakers, Cream, Derek and the Dominoes , Blind Faith plus even bigger star as a solo artist !

Anyone one else even compare with that kind of legacy ?

Green - Bluesbreakers and Mac
    Blackmore DP and Rainbow
    Slash G n R and Velvet Revolver

I'm afraid Clapton hasn't shown any tendency to play 'like he means it' since Cream.
  • supessupes Frets: 183
    Stick a poll vote up. We've had the arguments for and against, now let's count the votes!
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    My hero's would be Kossoff, Rory, Rossi, Green and SRV.

But of the current talent it would have to be Matt Schofield. The Best British Blues guitarist by a good  bit. And to those who will undoubtedly say they dont get him, well you have to see him live to get what he can wring out of an amp and a strat.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    hywelg said:

But of the current talent it would have to be Matt Schofield. The Best British Blues guitarist by a good  bit. And to those who will undoubtedly say they dont get him, well you have to see him live to get what he can wring out of an amp and a strat.
    I totally agree.  He's amazing live.  Not long now until his next album.  Can't wait!
  • OK, seeing as we are narrowing things down to a few artists your choice will be down to the guys most talked about here recently which would be;

Matt Bellamy

Slash

Guthrie Govan

Pick one only from above 3 and I will count it up after deadline 10pm tomorrow night !

Poll my A***

>:)
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Mat Bellamy, if only for the fact that I lose the will to live listening to the others.

Slash is just shit, and Guthrie knows everything about music except how to enjoy it.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Lixarto said:
    Mat Bellamy, if only for the fact that I lose the will to live listening to the others.

Slash is just shit, and Guthrie knows everything about music except how to enjoy it.
    Excellent quote about Guthrie, like it !
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Matt Bellamy for me too, out of those three.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• supessupes Frets: 183
    Slash. Not everyones favourite player, that's fair enough, but last guitar hero definitely.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Taking the thread title literally (the last aka most recent) I vote Matt Bellamy. Guthrie is unknown outside of guitar circles...and Slash's peak was in the very late 80s/early 90s.