New Tuner Day

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 72354
I bought a tuner…

Boss TU-1000

It's completely ridiculous but so cool I had to have it as soon as I saw it working - it has a massive, ultra-bright display, more tuning modes than you'll probably ever need, a huge illuminated Boss logo on the back (just in case anyone is in any doubt about what my new pedalboard is going to be all of), and best of all…

When you're in tune, the display does a sort of zoom-in-and-light-up thing that's like the targeting computer of an X-Wing fighter :D.

Now all I have to do is find a way of getting it to fit on my pedalboard! (I'll need to move a few things.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Think it'll last long before its replaced with a tu-3 ? 
    The size is just ridiculous 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    I remember those. I think they are called 'Stage Tuner' because they are meant for tuning whole stages.

You have got hold of one of the 3 they ever sold, well done!
    Red ones are better. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72354
    TimmyO said:
    I remember those. I think they are called 'Stage Tuner' because they are meant for tuning whole stages.
    I thought it was because you can fit a whole band including full backline onto one :).

TimmyO said:

You have got hold of one of the 3 they ever sold, well done!
    Weirdly enough someone else I know has one too. Finding the last one must be like one of those Jane Austen fivers...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    I bought a tuner…

Boss TU-1000

It's completely ridiculous but so cool I had to have it as soon as I saw it working - it has a massive, ultra-bright display, more tuning modes than you'll probably ever need, a huge illuminated Boss logo on the back (just in case anyone is in any doubt about what my new pedalboard is going to be all of), and best of all…

When you're in tune, the display does a sort of zoom-in-and-light-up thing that's like the targeting computer of an X-Wing fighter :D.

Now all I have to do is find a way of getting it to fit on my pedalboard! (I'll need to move a few things.)

The solution is obvious: buy oversized Boss pedals to compliment it. 

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/89/0f/02/890f0231f8ed20ba0dfce5c094341af8.jpg

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    He already has LOADS of oversized Boss pedals ;-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Needs one of those metal click switches.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6148
    tFB Trader
    You could use that tuner as your pedalboard! Multitasking
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited January 2017
    ICBM said:
    I bought a tuner…

Boss TU-1000

When you're in tune, the display does a sort of zoom-in-and-light-up thing that's like the targeting computer of an X-Wing fighter D.

The solution is obvious: buy oversized Boss pedals to compliment it. 

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/89/0f/02/890f0231f8ed20ba0dfce5c094341af8.jpg
    Or the TES 
    sgosden said:
    Think it'll last long before its replaced with a tu-3 ? 
    The size is just ridiculous 
    Hmmm… well sadly it won't fit on my board no matter how I arrange it. There just isn't room for two rows of pedals in front of it, by about half an inch. So either I need a bigger board or a smaller tuner :).

Although I haven't seen if it will fit along with my GT-5 on my other board, yet - that has a perfectly good onboard tuner of its own though so it would seem like a bit of a waste.

The interesting thing is that it does work *really* well, though - I don't know if it's the long scale that makes tuning fast and easy, but I just tuned up with it (without listening to the strings) and the guitar sounds much more in-tune than it normally would with my TU-2 used like that. I know the TU-2 is only +/- 3 cents whereas this one is +/- 1, but I wouldn't have thought that would be noticeable. Maybe it is.

• You'd likely hear an additional swing of 4 cents in isolation if you're used to listening for tuning. I think it's generally thought the human ear can pick out 5 cent differences but I think the ear can be developed a little further through experience. That and the attack/decay of strings changes the pitch a little as well, so the real terms difference could be greater than the tolerance of the tuner anyway
    edited January 2017
    That's why I've never thought the usual criticism of the TU-2 - that it's "not accurate" - mattered. I use one for bass too and it's always necessary to pick with the same force I would when actually playing, because the tuning swings further from sharp to flat during the course of the note decay than the tuner will register as 'in tune' even at +/- 3 cents.

It was just a bit of a surprise how much more perfectly in-tune the guitar sounded after tuning with the TU-1000. Maybe it's that the big display does definitely make it easier to smoothly home in on the right pitch because there are so many more LEDs, so the steps between each one are much smaller.

I will now be honest and stop pretending to be a rock star :) - apart from the sheer pose factor I actually wanted it for its accuracy and big display for doing intonation in the workshop - the TU-2 is genuinely not good enough for that, and although my Polytune phone app is great for quickly tuning up (especially with a floating trem) I'm not convinced by its accuracy either.

It would have been nice if I could have got it on the pedalboard too though.

It also draws 350mA, which is a bit of a problem for my current ( ;) ) power supply!

• GassageGassage Frets: 30923
    edited January 2017
    The things people do to offset the onset of wearing reading glasses on stage...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    The things people do to offset the onset of wearing reading glasses on stage…
    Damn! Caught.

Or in my case, when sat in front of the workbench :).

It is cooler than varifocals though, you have to admit. And it was less expensive.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30923
    ICBM said:
    Gassage said:
    The things people do to offset the onset of wearing reading glasses on stage…
    Damn! Caught.

Or in my case, when sat in front of the workbench :).

It is cooler than varifocals though, you have to admit. And it was less expensive.
    John, I feel your pain.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.