Who can make me a JCM800 combo 'clone'?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    I'm not going to start justifying the price (or commenting on FB etiquette regarding sale price comments) as i don't want to derail this thread. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72403

and you really need to get one with the 65 speaker (early ones) and vertical inputs otherwise you get diode clipping which personally I think sounds fuzzy/fizzy
    None of them have diode clipping, and unlike the 100Ws there is no circuit difference between the vertical and horizontal-input 50Ws either. You're probably thinking of the 4210, which does use diode clipping and did go to a gainier, buzzier circuit at the same time as the vertical/horizontal switch, although it only has a single input.

I agree that the later ones with a G12M-70 or G12T-75 don't sound as good as the 65, but it's easily sorted now with a G12M-65 Creamback or a reissue G12-65 Heritage.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I'm not going to start justifying the price (or commenting on FB etiquette regarding sale price comments) as i don't want to derail this thread. 
    Aghhhhh no no I rather meant I undersold mine!!!!! Lol 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ICBM said:

and you really need to get one with the 65 speaker (early ones) and vertical inputs otherwise you get diode clipping which personally I think sounds fuzzy/fizzy
    None of them have diode clipping, and unlike the 100Ws there is no circuit difference between the vertical and horizontal-input 50Ws either. You're probably thinking of the 4210, which does use diode clipping and did go to a gainier, buzzier circuit at the same time as the vertical/horizontal switch, although it only has a single input.

I agree that the later ones with a G12M-70 or G12T-75 don't sound as good as the 65, but it's easily sorted now with a G12M-65 Creamback or a reissue G12-65 Heritage.
    Ah yes that's what I meant. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    @professorben - i suspected this was your intention :) 

they are quite pricey on the other side of the pond - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marshall-4010-JCM800-50w-1x12-Combo-Amplifier-/132010631118?hash=item1ebc725fce:g:G9MAAOSwA3dYIRFs

• rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    I've had a few Marshall combos over the years, got a Peavey classic 50 2x12 at the moment and it's got just as much, if not more, grunt than the Marshalls. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Dan Gower can mod a Marshall to suit - See DG Amplification on FB but he is on here sometimes. They sound fabulous