Is it safe to test amp with a 6l6 in place of a 6v6

What's Hot
my mates harmonica amp (based on a Champ circuit I believe) went pop at our jam night on Thursday. Not exactly sure what had happened but I think when he switched on the pilot light came on then went out again. We checked fuses etc, switched on and pilot light came on but no sound. No signs of life from the 6v6. Neither of us have a 6v6 to hand to check if it's a knackered valve but was wondering would it be safe to test it with a 6l6.
cheers!
The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    With a cathode-biased amp like that, yes - at least briefly. The 6L6 will draw more current - both HT and filament - but it would be unlikely to overload the PT on any decent amp, and certainly not in just a couple of minutes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    With a cathode-biased amp like that, yes - at least briefly. The 6L6 will draw more current - both HT and filament - but it would be unlikely to overload the PT on any decent amp, and certainly not in just a couple of minutes.
    Cheers ICBM, yep will literally be putting in for a minute just to check nothing more sinister has happened than a blown 6v6.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    I also forgot to say - if it was a vintage Champ, be careful since the cathode voltage will rise to above the rating of the cathode cap, and you can blow it. Shouldn't be an issue with any modern amp since no modern builder should (hopefully) be using a 25V-rated cap there anyway, the 6V6 voltage is usually dead on that, or a volt or so higher.

If the amp is spec'ed with a reasonable safety margin on the components you can run a 6L6 in them indefinitely with no issues.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    I also forgot to say - if it was a vintage Champ, be careful since the cathode voltage will rise to above the rating of the cathode cap, and you can blow it. Shouldn't be an issue with any modern amp since no modern builder should (hopefully) be using a 25V-rated cap there anyway, the 6V6 voltage is usually dead on that, or a volt or so higher.

If the amp is spec'ed with a reasonable safety margin on the components you can run a 6L6 in them indefinitely with no issues.
    Many thanks!

The Swamp City Shakers