Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Question for Admins, should we have a seperate section for Modellers/FRFR?

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
edited January 2017 in FX
Should we have a seperate section for discussion on the modellers, Helix, Axe, Kemper, S-Gear and FRFR etc.?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That may be helpful as things head more and more in that direction. 
  • I wouldn't. Other forums have such things and the traffic tends to be very slow. 

• I wouldn't. Other forums have such things and the traffic tends to be very slow. 
    I'd agree with this. I'd never frequent that section, but have an interest in the threads that pop up on here sometimes.

Question is, are they "FX" or "amps"?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    Yup I agree...call the forum Collective Revolutionary Augmented Products.

Or CRAP for short.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You say that, but we have an awful lot of threads on the subject. Whenever posting something about a modelling unit, there's always that "Amp section? Or FX? I just don't know any more..." moment.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    But will it be strictly modelling (i.e. emulating classic amps or effects) or expand to the digital realm in general? It may be easier to have sections for Valve amps and analogue effects and Digital modellers, effects and software.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    It's a great idea, it would stop me from accidentally clicking on such a thread.
    I could avoid all the digital threads.
  • @TTony @monquixote - worthy of discussion?
    <space for hire>
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7804
    edited January 2017
    I wouldn't. Other forums have such things and the traffic tends to be very slow. 
    You say that, but we have an awful lot of threads on the subject. Whenever posting something about a modelling unit, there's always that "Amp section? Or FX? I just don't know any more..." moment.
    But really doesn't matter. Relevant to both in most cases.

I think you should keep as is.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I'm sure it's been asked for in the past.   It would make a lot of sense imo.     
  • I'm not sure. It's so hard to tell the difference these days between amps, effects and modellers. It's already difficult to work out what section some posts go in.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Or change the Amps forum to Amps & Modelling, or conversely FX to FX & Modelling?
  • They can be both and relevant in both. It's not like acoustic or bass where the instrument is different.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    I wouldn't. Other forums have such things and the traffic tends to be very slow. 

agreed

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33800
    @TTony @monquixote - worthy of discussion?
    I actually think it is a pretty good idea.
    I also have a bit of a quandary when posting Axe FX/Helix type threads.
    They could go in either FX or amps.

TGP's Digital/Modelling section is less busy than the Guitar Or Amp sections but it still has over 20k threads and half a million messages.
    I reckon it would work and if you look at the how many views and replies the Helix and Axe FX threads get you can see it would be busy enough- certainly more than the acoustic guitar or bass subforums.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26625
    edited January 2017
    Aye, and we could pre-fill it with threads from the existing sections in the last few months so it doesn't look so barren to begin with. A non-trivial amount of work, but I think it could be worth it.
    <space for hire>
    Indeed we do but what happens in most forums is that shipping those threads to their own subforum simply gets the same people posting there. When a thread on the Helix is out in the FX section for instance, you're more likely to get the casual browser chiming in and asking questions.

I take Octatonic's point about TGP's digital modelling section being well stocked but you expect that. It's an American-dominated forum, far bigger demographic, and I imagine far more Fractal owners are American than European for financial reasons. Are there enough Kemper/Helix/Fractal owners on this forum to make a new forum viable? 

And I sit in the FX section when it comes to amp modellers. It only goes into the Amps section if there's an actual power amp involved! :)

• I'd say no, purely because the vast majority ( to my eyes) is in the comparisons to valve or pedals, which is what provides the piquant sauce this forum is renowned for.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17632
    tFB Trader
    I personally wouldn't as it's a bit too grey of an area.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited January 2017
    In theory it sounds reasonable but in reality I'd suggest its impractical and undesireable for two key reasons.  

First, as previously mentioned, the lines have been blurring for quite some time.  For example, is a kemper an amp or a modeller or a profiler...and remember there are now versions with and without a power amp section.  And certain new amps and mfx mix dsp and analogue.

Second, segregation discourages open mindedness, experimentation and discussion. There are users of traditional amp and stomp boxes who are now at least partial converts to modelling for certain applications...and vice a versa.  Separate sections mean some folk wouldn't look at the other sections and could miss out on valuable shared info and experiences. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom