Anybody know how to get great Radiohead tones?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158
    GrahamG said:
    Now keeping in mind that i'm old(so no taste) & know nothing about radiohead,but i watched/listened to them for the 1st time at Glastonbury a couple of weeks ago,i actually forced myself to listen to the whole set.
    My advice is,to get that Radiohead sound,don't bother,just plug your Guitar into your very good Amp & get a good sound instead,oh & don't forget to sing flat all night(making sure no one can understand a word) while waving your arms around,with your guitar hanging from your neck(instead of playing it)& of course a lot of standing on 1 leg & screwing your face up,like you'd just swallowed a wasp.
    Just had a thought maybe you mean the other guy,who played keybords & Guitar?,if so just make sure your out of tune all night & look really arty.
    That should get you there =)

You mean you actually made a point of posting all that in a thread about a band you clearly don't like?

Have you genuinely not got a single better thing to do? Not one?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Bait
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I'm in a Radiohead covers band, and it is possible to do it with less money than you'd think. It helps that I got the Whammy, the Shredmaster, and the Japanese SD-1 cheap second-hand (Japan is good like that). But other tricks are to use a Behringer Vintage Phaser, which clones the Small Stone, a Malekko E.Filter which clones the DOD 440, a Mooer Trelicopter which clones the Tremulator, and a NUX Tape Core for the RE20. I round it out with a Mel9 for the Mellotron sounds, strings etc, and a Flashback and MS50G for, well, everything else. I'm mainly playing Jonny's parts, and if you look at that vid of Ed's board, you'll see why I concentrate on copying Jonny rather than Ed!

But The King of Gear was the resource behind pretty well every gear decision I made. It's invaluable.
    Any footage? I was out last night with the dog on a hike and put on Ok Computer re-master - sonic masterpiece! I was especially loving the multiple guitar layers in Let Down - all in different groupings of notes and seemingly different time sigs but blending beautifully - sounds like a bugger to learn - he also keeps changing what he plays!
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158
    roberty said:
    Bait
    'bater.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrahamG said:
    Now keeping in mind that i'm old(so no taste)..
    I stopped reading here, saved a lot of time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    roberty said:
    Bait
    'bater.
    Master of baiting.
  • GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    GrahamG said:
    Now keeping in mind that i'm old(so no taste) & know nothing about radiohead,but i watched/listened to them for the 1st time at Glastonbury a couple of weeks ago,i actually forced myself to listen to the whole set.
    My advice is,to get that Radiohead sound,don't bother,just plug your Guitar into your very good Amp & get a good sound instead,oh & don't forget to sing flat all night(making sure no one can understand a word) while waving your arms around,with your guitar hanging from your neck(instead of playing it)& of course a lot of standing on 1 leg & screwing your face up,like you'd just swallowed a wasp.
    Just had a thought maybe you mean the other guy,who played keybords & Guitar?,if so just make sure your out of tune all night & look really arty.
    That should get you there =)

You mean you actually made a point of posting all that in a thread about a band you clearly don't like?

Have you genuinely not got a single better thing to do? Not one?
    Of course i haven't got anything better to do,or i wouldn't do it & i didn't say i didn't like them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Vaiai said:
    Any footage? I was out last night with the dog on a hike and put on Ok Computer re-master - sonic masterpiece! I was especially loving the multiple guitar layers in Let Down - all in different groupings of notes and seemingly different time sigs but blending beautifully - sounds like a bugger to learn - he also keeps changing what he plays!
    Footage of my band? Bloody hell, no! We may be Nagoya's premier Radiohead covers duo, but that doesn't mean I'm going to expose us on Youtube!

Let Down? Yes, exactly. I'm trying to learn it at the moment. It's murder. Jonny plays in a different time signature to everyone else (translation for the old: 'He is out of tune and arty').
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Vaiai said:
    Footage of my band? Bloody hell, no! We may be Nagoya's premier Radiohead covers duo, but that doesn't mean I'm going to expose us on Youtube!

Let Down? Yes, exactly. I'm trying to learn it at the moment. It's murder. Jonny plays in a different time signature to everyone else (translation for the old: 'He is out of tune and arty').
    The twinkly guitar with the semitone interval is in 5/4, right?  Or is it more complicated than that?
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    Sleepyscholar said:

Nagoya's premier Radiohead covers duo
    Now that's a band I'd go see!
  • DiscoStu said:
    Sleepyscholar said:

Nagoya's premier Radiohead covers duo
    Now that's a band I'd go see!
    July 29th is our next gig. You're very welcome to come!

(I should add that we also hold the distinction of being Nagoya's worst Radiohead covers duo, of course)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • roberty said:
    The twinkly guitar with the semitone interval is in 5/4, right?  Or is it more complicated than that?
    Assuming I'm understanding your technical terms correctly ('twinkly guitar'), yeah, that's about it. The rest is 4/4.