Ancient Rotary Switching Wiring Confusion - Help!

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
edited January 2017 in Making & Modding
I've just started working on an old Musima. Unfortunately, in the distant past, some bright spark disconnected everything and left it in a bit of a mess...

Essentially, what you have are two pickups (Neck - single core & GND and Bridge - 2 core & GND) which both work, a rotary switch and a pot.

Rotary switches confuse the hell out of me, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've drawn out the schematic (or at least, what's left of it).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Yikes! I will have to think hard about that one. It can be done, just give me a bit of time :).

I'm assuming the four selections are pickup 1, pickup 2, both pickups series, both pickups parallel. That can be done if one of the pickups has 2-conductor+shield cable, so it fits.

I also assume the terminal with the white wire goes to the centre hub on the bottom layer in the same way as the one with the yellow one wrapped around it does on the top, or it won't work.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    edited January 2017
    Most of the wiring that's still there looks original, so fingers crossed, it's just a case of hooking up the pickups and outputs...

I'll have a closer look later, but I'll work on the premise that the majority is original.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

Most of the wiring that's still there looks original, so fingers crossed, it's just a case of hooking up the pickups and outputs...

I'll have a closer look later, but I'll work on the premise that the majority is original.
    Yes, it does look like it - the maroon cloth tubing all looks original and undisturbed, which is a huge help.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

When I'm back at my workbench, I'll take a close look at the solder joints and see if there are any obvious signs of reworking.

Updated:

All joints seem quite old and having looked very carefully, I can confirm that the linked centre hub/first terminal on the left is duplicated on the bottom layer.

Another update. Unless, I'm completely stupid (which I might be), the outputs should be:

You've got the connections on the volume pot round the wrong way (output is correct, the other two are reversed), unless the volume pot is meant to work backwards!

But the switch wiring does make sense - if the three wires on the left of your drawing are, from left to right: pickup 1 green wire, pickup 2 white wire, pickup 1 black wire.

Position 1: green wire grounded, black wire already connected to volume, white to empty terminal - pickup 1 on.
    Position 2: green wire to empty terminal, black wire to volume (but does nothing since the green wire isn't connected), white wire to volume - pickup 2 on
    Position 3: green wire to white wire, black wire to volume - both pickups in series
    Position 4: green wire to ground, white wire to volume, black wire to volume - both pickups in parallel

The link between Top 2 and Bottom 1 seems unnecessary, but may be to prevent switching noise - or may not be original, since it's bare wire.

edited January 2017
    Well spotted - thank you!

Here's the revised version - I think that's correct now?

Yes, I think that should work!

I'll tackle it ASAP and let you know! :)

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    This forum really is pretty awesome! Great to see folk helping each other out....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

And now for the fun bit...as you can see, the pickups have rather short cables, so some new braided stuff is the order of the day.

However, I imagine that getting it through the body will be entertaining...some nice 90-degree angles to deal with!

I thought access on my Epi 335 was a struggle, good luck!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    try a stiff-ish piece of solid core wire e.g. earth wire from some 6A lighting wire or maybe a long cable tie if the holes are large enough 
    Yes, I would use a long piece of stiff solid copper wire bent into a hook about half an inch wide at the far end, poke it through from the control cavity to beyond the pickup wire holes, then put the pickup wires down the holes, then pull back. That should catch the wires and pull them through to the cavity, but they will definitely need to be longer than the bare minimum or they'll slip out of the hook.

Well, after over an hour of wrestling, I'm at this point...

Jeez, what a PITA! :angry: 

Youve broken the back of it now!......Finished by close of play today?.........

Make sure you solder the pickup wires to the ends of those before you try to pull them through, not just tape and/or twist them together - it's tempting to think they can't pull apart when they're twisted and taped, but experience proves otherwise!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Cracking idea to solder them, Wisdom!