Noise/buzz on Epi. LP Std. Plustop Pro

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    pekin said:

I have also measured the string action using a string action gauge:

Low E o 6th string: 2mm or slightly lower (about 5/64").
    High E o 1st string: 1.50mm or slightly lower (a bit lower than 4/64").

After reading about different setups for the same/similar guitars from different people, I don't think my action is very low.
    That sounds about right to me, maybe even a touch low if you play hard and want a very clean sound. A lot of people who play with lower action than that use enough distortion that any fret buzz is masked - or have a very delicate touch - and it's usually not very audible through the amp even clean anyway. The relief of .010" also sounds about right.

That is, assuming that all these measurements are with the guitar held in the playing position… if you do it with the guitar lying on its back with the headstock touching whatever it's resting on the real action and relief will be lower than you think, and if the headstock is not touching (eg lying on a table with the neck over the end) then the real measurements are higher than you think.

None of these measurements are set in stone, as gibby said - you may need to adjust a bit for an individual guitar and playing style.

The buzzing humbucker covers will be difficult to fix - you need to either wax pot the pickups, or remove the covers and put a strip of double-sided tape on top of the bobbins… or replace the pickups with ones that are already potted, or have no covers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've just returned mine to the shop.. I had the same issue mainly on the A string, and a tad on the G string. I had a setup, fret dress no joy.... looking at the neck more closely there was a slight hump, and a slight twist.

You could be lucky and your action to low, may need a little relief... I think I just go a dud,,, :-( no looking for a replacement.

Good luck...
  • pekinpekin Frets: 0
    This may seem and probably is silly - but I assume you have thoroughly cleaned and treated the fretboard with lemon oil?

I got an Epi LP Custom Pro before Xmas, and had weird sound when by the upper frets, I cleaned it (without removing the strings) and obviously having spent a bit of time in a warehouse it was filthy, once I'd done this it was absolutely fine.
    Thanks for your comment.

I haven't done anything about cleaning the fretboard yet. I should buy a fretboard conditioner but I don't expect to make a big difference in term of sound to my guitar by cleaning the fretboard which still looks like new. My issue is around the lower frets (around 2nd-6th). I think I will start to spend time on learning and playing rather than trying to make my guitar sound perfect unplugged.

ICBM said:
    pekin said:

I have also measured the string action using a string action gauge:

Low E o 6th string: 2mm or slightly lower (about 5/64").
    High E o 1st string: 1.50mm or slightly lower (a bit lower than 4/64").

After reading about different setups for the same/similar guitars from different people, I don't think my action is very low.
    That sounds about right to me, maybe even a touch low if you play hard and want a very clean sound. A lot of people who play with lower action than that use enough distortion that any fret buzz is masked - or have a very delicate touch - and it's usually not very audible through the amp even clean anyway. The relief of .010" also sounds about right.

That is, assuming that all these measurements are with the guitar held in the playing position… if you do it with the guitar lying on its back with the headstock touching whatever it's resting on the real action and relief will be lower than you think, and if the headstock is not touching (eg lying on a table with the neck over the end) then the real measurements are higher than you think.

None of these measurements are set in stone, as gibby said - you may need to adjust a bit for an individual guitar and playing style.

The buzzing humbucker covers will be difficult to fix - you need to either wax pot the pickups, or remove the covers and put a strip of double-sided tape on top of the bobbins… or replace the pickups with ones that are already potted, or have no covers.

Thanks for your comment.

I guess I can still play with slight adjustments in order to get a better unplugged sound. However, I have already spent a lot of time on this so I think it's time to rock!
    I've just returned mine to the shop.. I had the same issue mainly on the A string, and a tad on the G string. I had a setup, fret dress no joy.... looking at the neck more closely there was a slight hump, and a slight twist.

You could be lucky and your action to low, may need a little relief... I think I just go a dud,,, :-( no looking for a replacement.

Good luck...
    Thanks for your comment.

It's too late to think about returning mine to Amazon..! Anyway, I don't think I have any major issue like indication of hump or twist so I just will keep playing!