PSA 1966 Gibson 335 in Edinburgh

What's Hot

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    Yes it is, I perhaps should have entitled this thread "reasonably priced mid 60's Gibson on Gumtree" as it's not exactly bargain of the century but it is a lovely example at a sensible price compared to the prices dealers charge for the same guitar.
    There's a dealer advertising a '65 with a Bigsby which is '64 spec (nickel hardware, wider nut, etc) at £12,000 - and suggesting it's good value:

http://www.audiotoyshop.com/store/p320/1964/5_Gibson_ES-335_TDC___OHSC_Bigsby.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes it is, I perhaps should have entitled this thread "reasonably priced mid 60's Gibson on Gumtree" as it's not exactly bargain of the century but it is a lovely example at a sensible price compared to the prices dealers charge for the same guitar.

It's so hard these days to access what is a fair/realistic price because dealers will pick them up cheap n then be prepared to sit on them until they sell with thier massive profit.

from a private buyer/seller it's a bloody mine field mate.
    look at that villager I was selling I've struggled to give it away but then there's dealers asking up to £800 for them.
    its bonkers 
  • Yes it is, I perhaps should have entitled this thread "reasonably priced mid 60's Gibson on Gumtree" as it's not exactly bargain of the century but it is a lovely example at a sensible price compared to the prices dealers charge for the same guitar.
    There's a dealer advertising a '65 with a Bigsby which is '64 spec (nickel hardware, wider nut, etc) at £12,000 - and suggesting it's good value:

http://www.audiotoyshop.com/store/p320/1964/5_Gibson_ES-335_TDC___OHSC_Bigsby.html
    He also has an 'issues' 67 Es-335 (drilled for stoptail, neck reset, pickups out and back in) for the same price as this presumably clean, no issues example.

He also has an 'issues' 67 Es-335 (drilled for stoptail, neck reset, pickups out and back in) for the same price as this presumably clean, no issues example.
    As my last post a few minutes ago said. It's bloody bonkers.
    how the hell does the average person know what is a fair price point when prices are all over the place.
    david pym has the exact same guitar as I have. A 1972 Gretsch country gentlemen in the same condition. He's wanting £3500 
    i quite honestly don't think I'd get 1200 if I listed it private.

• shugzshugz Frets: 768
    edited January 2017
    Some folk will pay a premium when buying vintage. If from David Pym then you're buying his absolute attention to detail, top of the class guitars and thoroughness. I'm not getting into rights or wrongs, just saying that for some going with a reputable dealer (even where that deal costs a lot more) can be an insurance against any potential horror a vintage guitar may or may not throw up.

Your mileage may vary.

I do hope this guitar here is seen for what it is. A totally legit guitar from a trusted seller and at a price not far off buying new. Of course, it's a lot of money and you don't hand over that amount without doing your homework. It's one of the few areas left in guitar buying at least where you can CHOOSE if you prefer vintage or New. Can't exactly do that with a 60s Strat or late 50s Les Paul. 

This one is a cool guitar in my opinion. Just as cool as whatever axe one decides is for them. Buy, play and enjoy what you like.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • shugz said:
    Some folk will pay a premium when buying vintage. If from David Pym then you're buying his absolute attention to detail, top of the class guitars and thoroughness. I'm not getting into rights or wrongs, just saying that for some going with a reputable dealer (even where that deal costs a lot more) can be an insurance against any potential horror a vintage guitar may or may not throw up.

Your mileage may vary.

I do hope this guitar here is seen for what it is. A totally legit guitar from a trusted seller and at a price not far off buying new. Of course, it's a lot of money and you don't hand over that amount without doing your homework. It's one of the few areas left in guitar buying at least where you can CHOOSE if you prefer vintage or New. Can't exactly do that with a 60s Strat or late 50s Les Paul. 

This one is a cool guitar in my opinion. Just as cool as whatever axe one decides is for them. Buy, play and enjoy what you like.

Cheers
    Hugh
    Well said!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1739
    edited January 2017
    I guess it's subjutive topic.
    That's ok as long as people paying a premium know there are n when/if they sell it they could loose a shed load of money. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    edited January 2017
    That's ok as long as people paying a premium know there are n when/if they sell it they could loose a shed load of money. 
    Not sure why you 'always' say this. My pukka '64 335 stands me at £3500 - no way I'll lose money on that.

If you 'really' want to lose money, try buying a new car, a new Anderson/Suhr/PRS or an iPhone....

If you buy a classic - as long as you know what you're doing - you won't go too far wrong with a vintage guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I guess it's subjutive topic.
    Not sure why you 'always' say this. My pukka '64 335 stands me at £3500 - no way I'll lose money on that.

If you 'really' want to lose money, try buying a new car, a new Anderson/Suhr/PRS or an iPhone....

If you buy a classic - as long as you know what you're doing - you won't go too far wrong with a vintage guitar.
    True, I've never lost money on a vintage guitar, you just have have to be very careful and do your homework. It's a passion of mine, despite the fact I can't REALLY afford it! But I know how to not get burned and I get a thrill from the chase I guess.
  • Obviously ur not going to loose on that are. 

edited January 2017
    A fool and his money.....

Absolute tosh saying you'll lose money. Buy wisely and you'll never lose. The goldrush has gone so your £150 LP Deluxes back in '84 won't be making you half a mil in 2025 but invest time and effort and a good vintage but will stand you in good stead.

And for some folk paying over the odds for a known certainty suits them. No one is being forced to hand over the cash. As others have said, walk out of any high street guitar emporium with a new CS Strat or Les Paul then see how much it's worth a few weeks later  

I say that with no detriment being placed on New guitars either. As I've said, buy what you love and enjoy :)

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • shugz said:

Absolute tosh saying you'll lose money. Buy wisely and you'll never lose. The goldrush has gone so your £150 LP Deluxes back in '84 won't be making you half a mil in 2025 but invest time and effort and a good vintage but will stand you in good stead.

And for some folk paying over the odds for a known certainty suits them. No one is being forced to hand over the cash. As others have said, walk out of any high street guitar emporium with a new CS Strat or Les Paul then see how much it's worth a few weeks later  

I say that with no detriment being placed on New guitars either. As I've said, buy what you love and enjoy :)

Cheers
    Hugh
    It's only my opinion but what do I know.  Lol
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader

Unless it's a vintage Gretsch..... ;-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    shugz said:

Cheers
    Hugh
    Well, quite.

As @jimmyguitar @richardhomer & @shugz say, buy 'em right, enjoy them and you'll not loose money.

Any fool can go into *Insert vintage dealer here* and pay through the nose for a guitar. It's the research and the thrill of the chase/bartering that is half the fun for me.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    shugz said:

Cheers
    Hugh
    absolutely :)

Wasn't having a go sir, maybe I'm just a bit more 'tuned up' when oldies mentioned on here. No offence meant if you took it that way.

Best wishes
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• No worries. Not all mate. 
    By the way this gibson is one sweet guitar. 
    Regards  dave 

• shugz said:
    shugz said:

Cheers
    Hugh
    absolutely :)

Wasn't having a go sir, maybe I'm just a bit more 'tuned up' when oldies mentioned on here. No offence meant if you took it that way.

Best wishes
    Hugh
    No worries at all mate. 
    N for the record I wasn't bashing vintage guitars.

Regards dave 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31604
    I don't get it - is it cool because it's old? 
    Potentially. The best 335 I've ever played was a late-60s one from well outside the golden era, a fantastically woody sound and a real singing quality.

A bad 335 is REALLY bad though in my experience.
  • Well... it's on it's way to me! The seller's a really nice bloke and I can't wait to receive it into my loving arms!
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bloody hell you move quickly.
    Congratulations