Binson Echorec - by t rex

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Hopefully being a disc there's no room for them to go the way they did with the Replicator and its thin tape.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    So, the consensus is that the Replicator isn't all that? 
  • @Loobs TPS just did a video with it.. 
    Watched that. Sounds ok...
  • Loobs said:
    Watched that. Sounds ok...
    Yeah - it doesn't seem to great great user reviews though - on balance I think I'm looking for a 201 or maybe wait until they release the echorec...
    I'm also thinking about buying a 201. A friend has one and it sounds awesome. 
  • Strat_a_tat_tatStrat_a_tat_tat Frets: 2761
    edited February 2017
    With regard to negative comments about the T Rex Replicator (on various forums etc), I'm not sure how much of that is down to user error. Any tape echo is going to be a bit more fiddly to set up compared with a normal pedal. In the 50s and 60s, guitarists knew they had to make a few adjustments to get the mechanical stuff working at its best... but kids raised on digital pedals are unlikely to realise these devices aren't plug & play.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think the comments were that it didn't sound all that compared to other tape echoes. Why exactly is it fiddly to set up? 
  • With regard to negative comments about the T Rex Replicator (on various forums etc), I'm not sure how much of that is down to user error. Any tape echo is going to be a bit more fiddly to set up compared with a normal pedal. In the 50s and 60s, guitarists knew they had to make a few adjustments to get the mechanical stuff working at its best... but kids raised on digital pedals are unlikely to realise these devices aren't plug & play.
    Given how expensive this is - I think it's highly unlikely that these are being bought by kids... The issue seems to have been the cartridge and tape wear. T-rex have released a new improved cartridge that is supposed to solve some of the problems. The sort of consensus seems to be that t-rex went to market too quickly and they hadn't quite got the replicator right.

http://www.t-rex-effects.com/tape-cartridge/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • With regard to negative comments about the T Rex Replicator (on various forums etc), I'm not sure how much of that is down to user error. Any tape echo is going to be a bit more fiddly to set up compared with a normal pedal. In the 50s and 60s, guitarists knew they had to make a few adjustments to get the mechanical stuff working at its best... but kids raised on digital pedals are unlikely to realise these devices aren't plug & play.
    Given how expensive this is - I think it's highly unlikely that these are being bought by kids... The issue seems to have been the cartridge and tape wear. T-rex have released a new improved cartridge that is supposed to solve some of the problems. The sort of consensus seems to be that t-rex went to market too quickly and they hadn't quite got the replicator right.

http://www.t-rex-effects.com/tape-cartridge/

Well.... when I say kids.... I mean anyone under 40.

Did T Rex give new, replacement tape cartridges to customers that had bought Replicators?

• No idea. 
  • @Loobs TPS just did a video with it.. 
    I played one at Hotrox, and it was actually very good indeed. Really good fun, and a wide variety of sounds.

It was VERY noisy though; not through the amp, but the actual tape itself. 

I'd still get one at the right money...