Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do you like listening to your own music?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    You need to pick ones with an organised day job!!

You'd think that'd help.  

However, as soon as music gets involved often logic, and ironically, timekeeping goes out the window
    Heh. I know. Weird isn't it.

I'm punctual, polite and stick to my word. All I need now is talent! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• However, as soon as music gets involved often logic, and ironically, timekeeping goes out the window
    He said musicians...not drummers.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Because we record most jams and ideas I sometimes listen on soundcloud. Partly because they are improvised I forget I've even done them. One the more thoughtful put together ones I can listen as long as I am not singing. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    My brother and I recorded an EP in 2000 and we were really happy with it. Friends loved it and we gigged it a lot, started to get a small following but got zero interest from the usual channels.

Now, i think there are a couple of great tracks on there that I like to listen to from time to time, but in hindsight the recording and production could have been a lot better.

These days music is just a hobby, I like writing stuff but it'll never go anywhere and no one will listen to it!

• IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    I like listening to my own stuff. When i am recording that will last up until edit/mix time. I normally end up sick off the song by the time that process is over and need a cool down period of around a month.

A track I did last year required an even longer break as we recreated the patterns and fills that our old drummer did on the original demo onto a piano roll in my DAW. It was excruciating and I couldn't go back to it for over two months. 

Apart from a few songs here and there, I generally like to hear most of my output. Especially to chart improvements in production skills (however minimal).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I haven't done originals for almost twenty years, but, at the time listened to my own stuff more than anything commercially available at the time. 

Nowadays: no.
  • The passage of time is an unusual thing. Some recordings I listen to now, I find a bit embarrassing, although I usually identify something that I didn't appreciate at the time. I'm never keen listening back to my voice, hence I no longer sing. My band has just recorded an album and, because I'm often an incidental player, I can really enjoy the songwriting and craft.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    I have a few songs that I describe as 'ok', but everything else not so much.  I don't sing (I would be classified as a method of torture in that department) so thankfully I don't have to listen to that.  I find I play more enthusiastically when playing original music, I think that has a lot to do with my enjoyment.  I don't particularly enjoy listening to myself playing covers, as I criticise my playing very heavily against the originals.
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
  • ... I guess listening to music brings back memories of cool gigs and good friends which is nice in a nostalgic way. But I think by unfulfilling I mean more that I've sunk so much of my life and money into music yet have all but achieved nothing with it beyond a 2 year period where everything came together. Sure I've earnt some money and played some biggish gigs but it's essentially been a lurching from one failed project to the next. 

I think your perspective, 'where you are coming from', your motivation and ambition largely colours that.

The way you view your achievements largely depend on whether you have a strong desire to communicate creatively, whether your ambition is in creating a legacy, or are content enjoying the process, the journey, and the experience.

As soon as others become involved, especially on the commercial side, then it is often a recipe for disaster unless well managed, and you are often not the one in control, and a good dose of luck comes into that too.  And we all know there is nowt so flaky as "musicians".

Very few are fortunate enough to have the artistic success and career they deserve, and hindsight can be a cruel mistress.

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8492
    When I'm working on music, I listen to it a lot - demos, practice recordings, mixes in progress, and mixes I think might be finished - the only way to be sure is to listen to them lots.

Once it's finished in my mind... no. I'll listen to it to reference things for when we play the songs live (like, "how does that harmony go again?") or for some production perspective (I remember liking the bass tone on that mix, how does it compare to what I'm getting today?)

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    I have a couple of bands where the recordings are in the "I can't believe that's us" but most of it is cringeworthy. On the home done stuff I find myself wanting to record everything again with my newer interface and plugins.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"