Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss Katana combo ........which one 50 or 100 ???

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• SpikeedogSpikeedog Frets: 43
    clarkefan said:
    Fair enough, and I can see it being very useful for live work.

I'm just a bit concerned it would get tiring very quickly.  It's the kind of "hardness" that's always put me off SS amps.

Like I said, it's good enough to deserve a trial run at home with a cab I like.  The sounds available are great, and I didn't even check out the fx, just a quick flick of delay and reverb.
    I got the 2x12 and am modding it so I can also use it as a cab for a valve head...... And that's all the gear I need so everything else is going.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Nice :) It'll be interesting how you get on with the speakers in the 2x12 Katana with a valve amp.  

Not suggesting anything, by all accounts they're decent speakers, that Katana model was the one I tried.

I'm curious how the head would sound with say V30 speakers, I'm hoping that hardness I hear in the Katana disappears, then game on :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    l have to qualify my comments that I'm playing a head through external cabinet.  1 x 12 with g12m-65 creamback
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    Anyone selling their 50w  ? Before I buy new 
  • SpikeedogSpikeedog Frets: 43
    clarkefan said:
    Nice :) It'll be interesting how you get on with the speakers in the 2x12 Katana with a valve amp.  

Not suggesting anything, by all accounts they're decent speakers, that Katana model was the one I tried.

I'm curious how the head would sound with say V30 speakers, I'm hoping that hardness I hear in the Katana disappears, then game on :)
    Guy at the shop said they were Celestions provided for this model....can't tell by looking at them though.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

The speakers sound much better after a bit of break in.  My amp sounded a bit harsh at first, but has mellowed out now.  
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Still yet to hear many demos that don't sound like an average modelling device! Anyone have any? 
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

The speakers sound much better after a bit of break in.  My amp sounded a bit harsh at first, but has mellowed out now.  

^Yep, that^
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    TTBZ said:
    Still yet to hear many demos that don't sound like an average modelling device! Anyone have any? 

I can do a quick clip, but don't play with much gain, if that is of any use?

I think it sounds better than your average modelling device, but can sound a little harsh with the gain higher up, although as I said that has mellowed.  It's a good amp for the money, but won't replace a decent valve amp IMO.

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited March 2017
    beowulf said:
    So I'm all but set on a Katana 50w, but have the chance to buy a Blackstar HT-5 for £130. I'm buying for the purpose of practising at home but perhaps gigging in the future. The Katana is great as it would be loud enough for small gigs and has the great set of effects on board, but hnnng the valves. What to do.
    Try them both. Then have a think about what you really need.

Do you need effects?
    Do you need the flexibility that Katana gives you, or is 2 channels enough?
    Katana 50 only has two preset slots - which may be an issue down the line?
    Is the HT5 quiet enough for home practising? (only you can answer that). I've not tried them but I'd guess the headphone emulation on the Katana probably sounds better than the one on the HT5, if you need headphones that is.

Failing that £130 is a good price for an HT5, assuming its in good nick. You could always try that first part ex it for a Katana if you don't get on with it
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    TTBZ said:
    That's because that's pretty much what it is.

Having tried one I don't think it's in the same league as the Kemper, Axe2, Amplifire, or Helix.

It is however a bit better than the Zoom G3 or Blackstar ID and loads better than the Boss GT-100.
  • GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    TTBZ said:
    That's because that's pretty much what it is.

Having tried one I don't think it's in the same league as the Kemper, Axe2, Amplifire, or Helix.

It is however a bit better than the Zoom G3 or Blackstar ID and loads better than the Boss GT-100.
    With all due respect,i'm not sure anyone expects a Katana to be in the same league as Kemper etc,but my KN50 sounds way more convincing than the HD500X/DT25 combo i had for a short time,if that means anything =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I went for the 50 over the 100 for the following reasons:

1. The 50 is loud enough to gig with anyway, so I don't need the full 100 watts.
    2. The GA-FC + presets of the 100 weren't flexible enough for live switching.
    3. The 50 cheaper
    4. The 50 is smaller
    5  The 50 lighter
    6. I don't need to extra 2 presets or the presence control of the 100.
    7. The 50 has the 25w mode which is VERY handy (100 doesn't).
    8. As a clean pedal platform, the 50 is simpler.

For me the ONLY plus the 100 is that it has a different speaker, some say it sounds better than the 50.

In all honestly, I'm blown away by the 50.

The Blogging Musician ;https://adamharkus.com/
  • Spikeedog said:
    @GrahamG you play pub gigs through 2 Boss Katana 50s? Tell me more!
    It loud enough at 25W - Loud drummer, bass and vox, if your boosting it for solos etc though and you want the most available headroom its DEFINITELY loud enough on the 50w setting.
    The Blogging Musician ;https://adamharkus.com/
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I really like my Katana, it does a very convincing Fender type drive sound if you use the hidden Deluxe Reverb, or my preferred model, the Tweed Deluxe.

I got the 100 because of the extra presets, although with the V2 Software, you get 4 of them. I do usually have about 5 presets that I use regularly, one for an Acoustic Emulation, a very clean Jazzy tone, a less clean clean tone for strumming, my main crunch tone and a higher gain lead tone.

Out of those, I use the Acoustic model for the emulation, the JC 120 for the very clean, the Deluxe Crunch for the less clean, the tweed for the main crunch and the 5150 for lead.