Now THIS is a Les Paul Custom I could get behind...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Skipped said:
    Just in case anybody is interested.....I personally was not offended by robust language on this page.

We are just  having a strong disagreement and I am very aware that my  tendancy to apply sarcasm with a trowel can and will get a strong reaction. This has got worse since Brexit.

Brize is as sound as a Pound. And a Gibson enthusiast like me.  

Alright, alright, calm down.. I don't think any of us were advocating a love-in ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    edited January 2017
    Bit over the top there mate. It's generally fairly laid back here and we try not to use such bad language.
    You're right, of course. I shouldn't have called @Skipped a cunt - he has neither the depth nor the warmth. ;)

In all seriousness, it would cost the best part of £6k to land this guitar, given the current exchange rate, shipping, duty, VAT, etc. There was a '68 circulating fairly recently in exceptional condition for around £9-10k.

Without seeing or playing the guitar it's impossible to know whether it's worth the money. You don't know what's under the refin, whether it's been routed for 'buckers, etc. The fact that the bridge pickup is not original would give me cause for concern in this regard. The ABR doesn't look original - or at least the saddles aren't - and the tailpiece looks more nickel than chrome. It also looks like there's something funky going on with the bass side neck binding where it meets the body.

Yes, vintage guitars have a generally accepted value. However, molested guitars are more difficult to value because there's a narrower market. A whole tranche of vintage buyers will dismiss player-grade guitars out-of-hand because, well, most of them aren't proper players. And for all of the accepted value of vintage guitars, there's an absolute shed-load of them that have been sitting on dealers' inventories for years because the 'accepted value' isn't accepted by the market.

As the old adage goes, something's only worth what somebody's prepared to pay for it. It looks like Dave priced the guitar correctly because it sold quickly - most likely to someone in the States. Good luck to the buyer - I hope he or she got a good guitar at a good price. I wouldn't have taken a punt on it sight unseen, though - there'd be no guarantee of recouping that £6k if the guitar was a disappointment.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Jeez, get a room, guys!
     =) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10297
    Nice cup of tea, anyone?
    In the spirit of the thread,

tea's for ponces,you slag.Gimee a fuckin coffee,strong and black or I'll twat you one.

:p 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Nice cup of tea, anyone?
    In the spirit of the thread,

tea's for ponces,you slag.Gimee a fuckin coffee,strong and black or I'll twat you one.

:p 

Arseholes. Coffee drinkers are just arrogant opinionated toss pots.

Gimme Ribena or GTFO!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Brize I agree, some of the prices on vintage guitars just make me laugh, but people stil buy them. As for molested guitars, I couldn't possibly comment on my Esquire, 2nd body 3rd neck etc but it still has original Bridge plate!